cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

What modem can I get to replace my BT Router?

I am unfortunately suffering from severe bufferbloat and whenever the router is under load (distance, wired, wireless, me being the only using the internet or more people, does not matter) my latency increases all they way to 1200ms or more. This happens randomly and it has been happening almost every day.

I have been adviced by other communities to buy routers such as a netgear or a beryl ax gl-mt3000 which has OpenWRT, which I have been told this can significantly reduce bufferbloat.

However, I have noticed that it seems that I need a modem and I have no idea which should I get. The BT Smart Hub 2 does not seem to have a bridged/modem option so I am stuck here. I have looked at a couple modems and they are as twice as expensive as the router itself so I am a bit confused here.

https://imgur.com/a/WIzeGyx 

https://imgur.com/a/Z6Zx6xv 

Those are my tests results. Max speeds are 70 download 18 upload. No fibre available, using FTTC. BT determined that because I am still getting my guaranteed speeds (which is not stable at all, please check https://imgur.com/a/rr2V3AS ) I cannot get an engineer. I have raised a complaint on my account but it probably will not do much. I am quite disappointed but I can't stand having 1000ms during my gaming sessions. Any advice will be appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention I use ethernet over powerline (and no, i cannot run ethernet through walls, this is the only option) and I ruled it out as the cause because I also get buffering while watching a twitch stream both in 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on my phone.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: What modem can I get to replace my BT Router?

After further research I have encountered an affordable option which is the Huawei HG612. Would this be good enough?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

if you use your existing landline phone have you been moved to digital voice?  if you use DV then you must connect the BT SH2 as first in line to modem/ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 20

If you don't need voice, the HG612 will be fine, however, why not consider a combined VDSL modem/router rather than a pure router.

Message 5 of 20

I suspect that if you continue to use powerline adapters then upgrading the router will have no effect  but if you do change the router get one with better WiFi capabilities and upgrade your PC WiFi at the same time  , otherwise you will be plugging your new router into your existing powerline adapters that you presumably have not eliminated as the cause of the issue .
Even if it’s not a long term solution, buy a long ( 15-25m ) Ethernet cable ( or however long is needed ) and even if it’s only temporary, run through doorways and up stairs etc  , it will prove or disprove the powerline adapters as the cause of your issues , otherwise you risk spending hundreds of ££’s for no reason at all .

FWIW , no ISP would concern themselves with your issue while you continue to use equipment ( powerline adapters ) and at least remove them from the setup during a test .

Message 6 of 20

Your download speed seems to fluctuate a lot and having a 1,000ms ping is unacceptable. 

Powerline adapters can have a negative effect on VDSL signal, although Devolo ones perform much better than any other.

You should perform some tests without powerline adapters - not just a one-off test in terms of twitch stream - and for a couple of days. 

Once you're satisfied that it's not powerline adapters, you should ask for a test on your line. 

I don't think changing modems will improve your situation as the issue is likely to be elsewhere. 

Message 7 of 20

Hi, I am not getting a VDSL router because I’d like the router to have openwrt built in or something of the sort to reduce buffebloat, and the ones I got recommended need a modem
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Unfortunately powerline is 100% not the issue. I have connected my laptop directly to the router and did the bufferbloat test and still got an F with 800ms of increased latency under load.
https://imgur.com/a/qD8CSoH 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Yes hello, here’s the test on a direct Ethernet connection to the router: https://imgur.com/a/qD8CSoH
Powerlines are 100% not the issue. I have asked for tests but to BT being above guaranteed speed = perfectly fine with 0 issues.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

I have no idea if I have Digital Voice but I think I remember getting a letter, not sure. I do not have a landline and don’t use it at all. 

0 Ratings