cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 54

Wi-Fi on halo 3 do not pass 145 download

Hi everyone I need a bit of help.

I check many tread and I cannot find an answer.

I have a BT Halo 3 package.

my BT Hub 2 reach 300mbs tested by technician.

unfortunately none of my pc’s phone can get a download speed of more that 145.

any advice is most welcome. The technician today could not give an answer why and just told me the speed to the modem is fine.

is it a setting problem or the by hub Wi-Fi that is not capable of reaching higher download speed than 145?

many thanks

fulvio 

0 Ratings
53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54

Re: Wi-Fi on halo 3 do not pass 145 download

@FulvioOrnato 

Here is a copy of a post made by one of the moderators.

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre 900, take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

Ethernet should ensure you get the maximum possible speed but I also appreciate that connecting this way is not always possible"

The idea of a fast connection, is that you share the connection with a number of devices.

Message 3 of 54

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback. The fact is that even the Ethernet cable reaches 145 not more than that. What could be the problem?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 54

It could be the network card in your PC not fast enough. Your PC iself not fast enough, or the wrong type of Ethernet cable. There are lots of possibilities.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 54

I tested with 2 different MAC and a windows 10 pc
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 54

You may be confusing Megabits with MegaBytes.

900 Mbit = 112.5 MB

Downloads are often measured in MegaBytes.

You need to see what speed the ONT to Smart Hub 2 is reporting.

Perhaps someone else with FTTP can help?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 54

Thanks for the clarification but I was talking about Mbps megabit per second download speed that stall at around 145 when my by hub say that the speed is around 300.

something is not right. Feels like there is a cap in the max download speed I can achieve.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 54

Create a PPPoE connection on your PC and connect it directly to the ONT. This will bypass the hub and verify if it is the hub causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 54

Thanks a lot this sound a good test. 
Apologies for my ignorance but what is it ONT?

is it the Ethernet port on The hub? I do not have a separate modem to connect directly and bypass the BT hub 2

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 54

You have a network card in your PC's that are capable of higher speeds but the actual achievable speeds will be governed by other components. Your processor, ram speed, harddrive read and right speeds etc etc will all impact on the maximum speeds you can achieve.

As an example, my car should be able to achieve 69mpg but will it achieve that under normal driving conditions? Extremely unlikely...

The same basic rules apply to the specifications of your devices. Just because you have a gigabit connection, it's highly unlikely that you'll have any equipment that will hit those speeds consistently or at all.

Your connection speed is the speed to the hub and no further because there are far too many variables that can affect the end speed at the device.

0 Ratings