cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

WiFi Password Insecure

Go to solution

So i'm having numerous issues with my home FTTC connections at the moment (we have 3 because the speeds are so bad) and because of slow speeds and connection issues, despite me explaining that WiFi congenstion can't be the problem as there is only one router with all the smart home and security **bleep** on it and the other two only a handful of devices each to the tech i just spoke with he wanted to reset my router, to which i said yes without thinking, get logged back in to change the IP addresses to what i had before and when i tried to change the WiFi back to the old SSID and password that i had used before i am greeted with "Your new security password isn't secure and is easy to guess. Accepting this new password could make your Hub vulnerable to hackers." to which i can "accept" or "retry" but the problem is when i hit accept and say yes when it ask if i'm sure it doesn't bloody change it even though it says its saving changes, i REALLY need to get this changed back to how it was as i have a heap of google home, amazon echo and most of all security cameras mounted in currently inaccessible locations that need a button pressed to reset them if i were to put them on the new network details, the password is only 8 characters but it has lower, upper and symbols in it so i'm pretty sure it's just cos it's lower than 14 that it's rejecting it, so i have little concern over it being a problem. Surely i should be able to choose my own password and if it gets "hacked" be it on my own head?

I even thought of backing up the config file to change it there and upload it back to the hub but couldn't find a way to edit it that didn't spit out encoded gibberish 😞

Grateful for any input you may have and thank you for reading.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: WiFi Password Insecure

Go to solution

the original hub SSID and password will be on back of hub so I would do a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash.  when hub reboots you can log back preferably with ethernet connection and then change the hub SSID and password to how it used to be then need to save changes.  wifi devices should now connect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I seem to recall that password security criteria was changed by a firmware update some time ago. I thought it actually removed the option to over-ride but maybe it just won't enact it. About the only option I can think of is deploying a wireless access point that will allow the SSID & password you require. Maybe an old router if you have one kicking around.

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
imolly the SSID isn't the problem but the password is the issue, but because the password that all the devices have stored the hub just won't accept as its too short although otherwise secure 😞
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
I was thinking along the same lines, i don't have any older routers kicking about but i was thinking of a mesh WiFi system, don't particularly need it just now due to the size of the property but i am hoping to move in future so it may become needed in future.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Are you sure that it is the BT hub that is giving you the "not secure" message. 

I have a Smarthub 2 with a 10 digit password, upper and lower case with numbers and it was accepted without issue when I set up my network. I did however set this when the hub was off line if that makes any difference.

I have just removed a digit to see what warning I would get and nothing flagged up except the option to save it. I did not complete the save. This was done with the hub on line and connected by Ethernet.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Definitely the hub setup page thats being a pain in the back side, it's a BT SmartHub 2 running firmware v0.37.00.07084-BT, i'll take it offline and give it a try n see if i get anywhere with it.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

I used a SH2 and was able to change the password and SSID without a problem.  I always use the same SSID and password to avoid having to go round all the wifi devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
You're a star and my new best friend for the day, configuring offline seems to have done the trick, thoroughly confused why it lets you follow the process with it hooked up to the net but seems to ignore the changes.
0 Ratings