cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

WiFi not working all through house

Hi, I have full fibre 500 but wifi does not work upstairs or in the garden. Garden I can kind of understand, but upstairs should connect. What can I do? Do BT still do the free booster things? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: WiFi not working all through house

there are no 'free booster things' but you can pay for complete wifi  https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/bt-halo/what-is-complete-wi-fi-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Yes WiFi discs are what I was meaning, thank you. I’d read a while ago though that you could apply for up to 2 for free … 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The black "Complete WiFi" discs are supplied free if you signed up for a contract which includes "Complete WiFi", and they need a BT Smarthub2 to work.
If your contract did not explicitly offer this then there are no free discs.
If that's the case, you'd probably be better off getting two or three BT white "Wholehome" discs - there are available online fairly cheaply and, in my experience, work pretty well. They are also compatible with any Hub/Router, unlike the black discs which need a Smarthub 2
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Ah thank you .. I obviously didn’t read correctly .. I’ll check my package. We bought 2 discs independently when we had our house rewired, but they don’t work properly either, I’ve no idea, I’m not technical in the slightest.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@TK2wrote:

Ah thank you .. I obviously didn’t read correctly .. I’ll check my package. We bought 2 discs independently when we had our house rewired, but they don’t work properly either, I’ve no idea, I’m not technical in the slightest.

"Properly" is the key word you have used. Surely, the discs either work or they don't. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

We were told our devices would automatically connect to the most appropriate signal when moving through the house. Downstairs we have the BT router, 1 independent extra disc in the hallway, 1 extra independent disc in the upstairs landing. Devices connect downstairs to the BT router, upstairs they stay connected to BT but don’t work well, or our devices connect to mobile data. Each disc has its own username and password, we can connect to them manually but our devices don’t connect to them automatically. We were told they should. Both discs are connected to the BT router via cables through the walls. I was going to get the BT discs but I thought we’d have the same problem as these independent ones.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Devices choose which signal to connect to. They don't always choose the strongest signal and are sometimes reluctant to change to a stronger signal.

Mesh systems which all have the same SSID (name) and password should allow seamless roaming between nodes but devices can sometimes still hang on to a weaker signal.

Your system of separate access points with discrete SSIDs is my preferred option as it allows the user to choose which signal to connect to.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi, thank you … so we have to manually connect to the disc whenever we go upstairs? Sorry, but I’m really not tech savvy 

0 Ratings