cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

WiFi speeds on 900mbps Upgrade

Hello, we recently upgraded to the 900mbps WiFi, now the speed test for the hub shows it’s got 800mbps however all of our devices won’t go above 60mbps, including the wired connection to my Gaming PC, I thought it could be the Ethernet cable so I bought a few brand new Gigabit cables and still the same result, I get maximum 65mbps and 900mbps upload speed, there’s only 3 of us at the house and not many devices on the WiFi so we’re not sure why the Gaming PC or Xbox don’t go above 65mbps 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: WiFi speeds on 900mbps Upgrade

this is from a previous post which may help

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/FTTP/m-p/2303599#M347829

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for the reply! 

Our Mobile Devices are not the problem unfortunately, they seem to be working fine! it’s the Computer and the Xbox which are limited, the Gaming PC has all updated drivers, the correct Ethernet cable but I still only get 65mbps and without the Ethernet it gets even lower.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@Wildcard 

I doubt if the computer and Xbox are capable of a faster speed, do they really need anything faster anyway?

The purpose of your 900Mbs connection is to allow lots of users to share the connection, not for a single user to get the full speed. It may be possible with a very fast PC, to get close to the speed, but its really pointless for a single user.

I assume both devices are directly connected to  Ethernet ports on the BT Smart Hub 2, and not via any discs or powerline adapters?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

With the speeds I’m currently getting on my PC of 65mbps maximum, the games I play lag like crazy, especially when with friends, the Ethernet is plugged into the Smart Hub and not a disc.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@Wildcard  how are you measuring your speeds, is it using: BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com) or are you using a third party site, if so which?

You say you have a 900 Mbps upload speed - is that a typo?

M for Mega (large) 

m for milli (small)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Hello CountryPaul,

I am using the BTW Tester, I also tried Speednet, both came up with similar results, the download speed being 57Mbps on BTW Tester, and the upload speed being 88.99Mbps on the Upload speed.

yes it was a typo my apologies.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

As stated , if your speed test is in MB instead of Mb , then it’s approximately 8 times less , 65MB is 520Mb’s , that’s still low though for a 900Mb service.
Run the ‘BT’ speed test as that’s the speed to the ONT , if it’s OK , then the problem is not on the FTTP but your kit , your kits settings, another thing to try is connect your PC directly with an Ethernet cable to the ONT , set up a PPPoE session and run a speed test , this eliminates the BT SH2 from the setup 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

All of my recordings are in Mb, I know the difference rest assured.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

@Wildcard 

It could be your PC or something else connected to your home hub.

Make sure you are not uploading or downloading anything extra at the same time, as that will affect the response time, especially uploads.

0 Ratings