cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

WiFi speeds

I have BT Broadband with a copper cable and I get speeds on my PC of 71.9 through a LAN connection and 50.7 by WiFi. If I install an optical line I would have to use WiFi. Would my speed reduce to 50.7?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: WiFi speeds

It will depend on what version of WiFi the various pieces of equipment you have will support. The BT Smart Hub 2 supports WiFi 5, but the next version (whenever that appears) should support WiFi 6 - some third party routers already support WiFi 6.

When you say "If I install an optical line...), I assume you mean ordering from BT, in which case whether you get an optical cable to the premises (FTTP) or just copper to the the premises from the cabinet (FTTC) will be dependant on what is available in your area. In either case there is the potential for higher speed WiFi than you are getting, but it will depend on all the pieces of equipment supporting that higher speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

There is no reason you would not be able to continue using an ethernet (LAN) connection to your PC  with an FTTP connection.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

The optical broadband I ordered is supposed to be about 2x my current copper system, but I won't have a lan connection. I wonder if having to use WiFi will be slower.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

The optical cable cannot be fitted to the loft where I have my PC and I cannot fit internal cables without causing disharmony in the household.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@BobSapeywrote:

The optical cable cannot be fitted to the loft where I have my PC and I cannot fit internal cables without causing disharmony in the household.

I assume that to mean that your 'phone line comes in overhead but you fibre will come in underground? If not then why can you not get fibre into the loft?

Your Wi-Fi speed will depend on a number of factors, not least the age and ability of your PC and the Wireless Mode setting on the hub (mode 1 being the fastest), the distance between your hub and PC and the construction of your house (older houses present more of a challenge to radio waves than newer houses)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

The optical cable will be overground. My copper cable enters the loft via an air brick and the wall cavity. The kinking risk means the optical cable can't reach the loft.

Forgetting that, my question is really about trying to understand how fast WiFi speeds can reach.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@BobSapeywrote:

Forgetting that, my question is really about trying to understand how fast WiFi speeds can reach.

I doubt anyone will be brave or foolish enough to try and give you an absolute answer to that question, as suggested in my last post, there are just too many variables.

Depending on the level of your technical knowledge you may or may not find the following useful but remember that, as stated earlier the figures quoted are subject to other factors and are not absolute 

Wireless Standards Explained: 802.11ax, 802.11ac, 802.11b/g/n (lifewire.com)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thanks, but that probably is a bit too technical and detached from my buying choices.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Put simply wifi speeds are independant of broadband speeds. Your overall download speed at your device will be at the speed of the slowest portion in the chain. If your current broadband is the weakest link (which is likely) your speed will improve. However, if your wifi signal is the weakest link it won't matter how fast your broadband is.

If you have a windows laptop, you can simply look at the wifi link speed to your router by going to Settings > Network &Internet > WiFi > Your Hub SSID properties. You can similarly check on Android devices. I guess Apple devices also report link speed but have no knowledge of Apple devices.

Don't get all excited by the hype regarding WiFi6. The link speed to my laptop is currently 866Mb/s from a WiFi5 BT Smart Hub2. My broadband speed is only 49M however, so that is the weakest link.

0 Ratings