cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Wifi extender stopped receving internet

Hello,

I have a BT fibre connection / router, should be latest model as it was subscribed about 8 months ago (June 2023).

I extended a ethernet cable (cat 5e) from BT router to my garden office , where I have placed a ZTE router,  LAN port to LAN port, and this worked for 8 months without any issues.  I was getting a decent speed in the extender. 

Yesterday evening, the internet just stopped in the extender router (ZTE router). The wifi at home, works as usual and nothing suspicious. 

Did a factory reset for ZTE - and broadcasts the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - wifi's properly (which it was doing before factory reset as well), and the green lights lit up brightly, gets  connected through mobile phone (and) laptop - however,  now it shows "No internet". The broadband & Internet lights on the router are no longer lit up.  

There is a blinking light at the  LAN port on the ZTE wifi router - green. There are no lights behind the BT Router LAN port.

When checked from 192.168.1.254 from home wifi, the extender shows as "InActive".

Have tried - shutting down bt router > wait for 60 secs > restart - no luck. 

I have a feeling that there is nothing wrong with ZTE router, but something with BT (or) could it be a cable issue?

I am no expert, but I have run out of all the usual - shutdown and restart ideas.  Without this, and with school holidays in progress, I am unable to work. 

Please help ! 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wifi extender stopped receving internet

I would move your ZTE to close  by the BT router to make testing easier for a short while then:

0) Make sure the Ethernet cable is properly plugged in at each end

1) Try different Ethernet cables

2) Try different port on the BT  Hub

3) Try different port on the ZTE

Obviously ethernet cables can get damaged in various different ways so trying different ones is clear.

If things are plugged in and out of ethernet sockets occasionally the socket can get damaged and the contact get bent and stop working hence try different ports.

Ethernet ports on  equipment do sometimes just cease working, I have a couple of switches with dead ports - reason unknown.

Report back your results

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wifi extender stopped receving internet

Thank you,

You were spot on. Issue wass with the cabling.

Confirmed by - a RJ45 test and one of the 8 wires in the cable had an issue (for no apparent reason.. ?)

Solution wise - a reset of the RJ45 end point, it seems all back now.

Hope it sticks or may need to replace the whole cabling.

Thanks again,

0 Ratings