cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Wifi in mancave

Hi I have Fibre 2 and just upgraded to Halo with engineer coming Tuesday. At present I only have my bt hub and a net gear extender at bavk patio to try and extend into a mancave in garden. The signal is poor - will I get next hardware on his visit or what can I buy to give best wifi in mancave pls?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wifi in mancave

@debbieuk4000 

Can you run an Ethernet cable to the outbuilding?

If you can, then simply plug a wireless access point into the outbuilding end

TP-Link TL-WA901N 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, Passive PoE Power Injector, 10/100M Ethernet Port

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Keith! My router is in the office near the front door and the mancave is at the bottom of the garden. Not sure I can Ethernet cable from one to other. Ive got power from the mancave via the garage if that helps?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

do you have electric in there , you can get home plugs with wifi  .plug one in near the router and use an ethernet and then the other home plug in the mancave 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Message 6 of 8

Thanks Keith. Yes I have power points in mancave. So just to be clear where does the Ethernet cable need to go from and to? Do I get someone to do it via roof for me? 😃
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

If you use those powerline adapters, you do not need to run an Ethernet cable, as they transmit the Ethernet signal over your mains wiring.

One ends connects to the home hub via a short Ethernet patch cable, and you con connect both wireless and Ethernet connections at the other end.

If yo did not want to use those, then you would have to run an external grad Ethernet cable from the home hub, to the outbuilding. This could work out quite expensive, so its worth trying the powerline adapters first.

Message 8 of 8

is your garage and consequently your out building on a different consumer unit to your home as that will cause problems for powerline adapter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.