cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Wifi to summerhouse

Hi folks
I'll try and make this as simple as I can.
We live in a mid terrace house built in the 80s. Our wifi is provided by BT and get around 55mbps in the house. Not bad.
Around a year ago I bought a 2 pack TP-Link AV600 powerline adapters to get wifi to the shed. It's never been brilliant, just ok. Although surprisingly, if I do a speed test on our android tv, I'm getting 51mbps. Sometimes it can buffer for minutes or just freeze completely. It has been suggested that I get a faster powerline adapter eg AV1000 or 1300. It's not practical to run an ethernet cable out there either.
It has also been suggested that I look at a mesh system. My budget is around £60 - £80.
Is my issue solvable, once and for
all ?
We only use Netflix, Spotify etc, there's just me and my wife who aren't techy at all.
Can anyone help please ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wifi to summerhouse

If you are getting 51Mbps, that is as fast as you will get whatever you do.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

It's the buffering that's the issue. There's no rhyme or reason to it.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If you are not already doing this, try connecting the Summerhouse TV to the powerline adaptor using an Ethernet Cable instead of wirelessly.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

The AV600 is easily fast enough for video but there could be a problem if you are trying to watch TV whilst someone else in the summerhouse is gaming.

Presumably the mains supply in the summerhouse is not on the same ring main as the sending AV600, maybe it even has an intermediary consumer unit, this will not help either.

It's hard to think how you can improve matters on such a small budget

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

The summerhouse does indeed have its own consumer unit. It takes its feed directly from the house consumer unit via armoured cable which was installed by a qualified electrician. Safety first !!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Normal and sensible practice but unfortunately it's an added complication where powerline converters are concerned. 

Consider the distance between the main building and the summerhouse and your budget, perhaps Complete Wi-Fi would be a practical solution?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

You’ll maybe need to increase your budget a bit but a mesh system should work ok for this situation.

I bought a pack of 3x TP-link Deco M5’s and placed one downstairs at the front of the house (where the Internet connection is), one upstairs at the back of the house and one in the summerhouse itself, and can get around 100Mbps when sitting in the summerhouse as well as blanket Wi-Fi coverage all over the back garden.

As another poster said, possibly the BT complete Wi-Fi system would give a similar result.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Just two additional points;

- check of the armored cable to two core/if the earth is used as the consumer box maybe earthed into the ground for the summerhouse so plugs may not work

- if you are using mesh discs, I've just read lately the saying ' halfway is the best way'; consider buying a waterproof plastic small tub to fit the mesh router and run a cable back from the summerhouse into the middle of the garden and position the tub off the ground attached to wall/fence (you can buy extension cables for router power adaptor plugs) - resulting in the mesh signal in the middle and summerhouse within this circle. May find this provides much better signal

0 Ratings