cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Wireshark; 15 STP packets every 2 seconds, never got this with virgin's router.

Go to solution

I read it's pointless for home networks, more applicable for multiple switches. How can I stop this from the smart hub 2? Thanks.

The Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)

Spanning Tree Protocol - Wikipedia

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wireshark; 15 STP packets every 2 seconds, never got this with virgin's router.

Go to solution

If this is what's happening I don't think you can stop this (I don't think the setting is there).  It's also barely 12,000 bits per second max (quite probably far less), so even if you did stop it, you are not going to see any noticeable increase in network speed!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Wireshark; 15 STP packets every 2 seconds, never got this with virgin's router.

Go to solution

Thanks. I can believe the benefits are invisible. Though with real time traffic like games, and my many tweaks, I want to trim down as many unneccessary things as possible, for it adds up. Moreover there's no telling the interaction with this and everything else (network chain, OS, drivers, software), especially when you add a flood of packets from gaming. One thing is for certain, if unneccessary things are gone, they can't possibly upset anything.

Depressing, I like my tweaks. It'll make shopping for a new router hell, knowing if it'll do the same.

I saw an ASUS router with the option to turn STP off. There's some hope this toggle feature is on some routers.  When in Rome, I was going for a second line to avoid powerline adapters and have a socket upstairs. Boredom drives me on. I suppose powerline is hell for real time traffic in some manner. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Most decent third-party routers have the option to turn off STP, it's off on my own Asus GT-AX6000, but of course, you'll lose BT's digital voice if you go down that route(r).

*Running the Asus-Merlin firmware so there is the potential for loads of tweaks - most of which do little.  Running the "Diversion" ad-blocker on the router is somewhat useful though!  As IPv6 can be in some situations!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Ah ok great to know, thanks for telling me that. Gives me some light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah, I don't use BT's digital voice. But thanks for the heads up.

"*Running the Asus-Merlin firmware so there is the potential for loads of tweaks - most of which do little.  Running the "Diversion" ad-blocker on the router is somewhat useful though!  As IPv6 can be in some situations!"

Ah ok, interesting. I like the room for tweaks. Suits my boredom. Thanks for telling me!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Asus-Merlin does not run on all Asus routers, the best place to catch up on what it can, and cannot do are the SNB Forums

0 Ratings