cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Xbox Gaming Lag

Hi, 

I’ve got bad lag when playing online with Xbox.

this started around the time of the last firmware update.

Generally the ping is under 50ms, download speed 70, upload 15, packet loss at 0 but still have got major issues.

ive tried all the recommendations from BT and other users. 
I will run a ping plotter, does it matter what website I run the tracing on?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Xbox Gaming Lag

The game server would be the obvious choice.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

I’m not very tech savvy to be honest mate, only recently learned what ping meant….

how do I find the Xbox server details? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@Hazza2107 you'll probably be better off searching the Xbox forums for the game you're having issues with.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Gaming Lagging!!

I’m at my wits end with BT broadband.

ive got good internet, good speeds, low ping, no packet loss, good WiFi signal yet online gaming is unplayable.

ive tried everything in Xbox and router settings and no joy.

Any help would be appreciated 

one.one.one.one.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Re: Gaming Lagging!!

PNG image.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

@Hazza2107 what are the specific issues you are seeing when gaming online, and in regards to your connection performance, what are you expecting because while not brilliant, the stats you've posted are not utterly terrible either!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Whilst playing online, there is terrible latency and at times it’s almost unplayable 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Okay, so from your speeds, you probably have a VDSL2 connection.  By bad latency, I presume you mean that there is input delay/lag.  You can often make some improvements if you can connect to the router using a cable rather than using WiFi.  Try turning the ping plotter software off, and especially on VDSL2 you can suffer if there are others in the household who are streaming video or downloading using torrents.  If doing something as silly as changing the screen resolution helps, then it's not your connection that's bottlenecking you (even on a PS5)!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Thanks for the reply,

yes it’s the input lag which is the issue. I have a BT disc in my room and connection is excellent, I did have an Ethernet but it was cheap and restricted to 100ms.

there is one other tv connected which streams shows but I can’t believe that one Xbox and one tv can cause this issue… but I have read this could be the case.

ive tried changing the resolution, making sure everything’s up to date. Resetting my Xbox and router. The only thing BT said there is congestion on the network and to try another channel but they’re all the same outcome…. 

0 Ratings