cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

adding a device to BT whole home wifi with WPS

Hi All

Probably a daft question so apologies in advance!

I have a device in my garage that does not have wifi that I want to connect to my Wifi network. The garage receives a decent signal from 2 of the black discs in the house so I plan to use a wifi extender that I already have with an ethernet port to connect to the device - a CCTV recorder.

The extender says to use WPS to configure.

My question is do I use WPS with the extender out in the garage and press the WPS button on one of the discs in the house or should I simply have the device near my router and use the WPS button on the router.

Or doesn't it matter as all the authentification configuration is  sent out to all the discs anyway.

Thanks in advance for any guidance....

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: adding a device to BT whole home wifi with WPS

@Karl99rwrote:

I have a device in my garage that does not have wifi that I want to connect to my Wifi network.

Unless I have misunderstood you, you say the device has no Wi-Fi and that the garage receives a strong signal. To me, the device, (it would help if we knew what this device was) would NOT be capable of Wi-Fi. This is NOT uncommon. I have two micro-desktop computers (one Dell, one HP) and neither are Wi-Fi enabled. You simply buy a decent USB Wi-Fi dongle very cheaply,  provided this mysterious device has a USB socket.

Both computers show upper 70s where our speed is 80/20 via FTTC. In fact, nothing in our home is ethernet connected.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: adding a device to BT whole home wifi with WPS

I have a similar problem in that it involves the WPS facility.

I am trying to connect a TP-Link Wifi Booster to my network, because I have a weak signal at my desktop computer.

When I press the WPS button on my BTHub6 Smart Hub for more than six seconds, there is no indication on the WPS button that it has accepted my command, and I am wondering if I have disabled WPS at some time, for security reasons?

Please can you tell me how to enable the WPS?

Thanks.

0 Ratings