cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

broadband signal

Recently moved into a new build with BT box built-in ready to connect the router.  Have no signal in one bedroom and a partial signal in another bedroom.

Contacted customer service and they, want me to upgrade to complete wifi.  I can't understand why I should have to pay a fortune and upgrade,  and bt will not consider a fault when I live in a 2-bed house with a kitchen and living room,  Not exactly a mansion.

Customer service would not offer any other help and I am tied into a contract as it's a new build and had bt box i thought yes go with the best, the best is rubbish, and trying to work from home is a nightmare.

People stay away from BT they don't care about customers, just want more and more money from us.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: broadband signal

BT are not responsible for your home network. No ISP guarantees wifi connectivity or speed, there are too many variables.

What is this 'BT box' that you refer to, is it a fibre modem (ONT)? If so, you can place your Home hub or router in a different location and see if that improves coverage.

Have you tried changing wifi channel to see if that improves things?

Make sure you have turned off Smart setup on the hub https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: broadband signal

@kerrisgroves There are reports of newbuilds using foil-backed plasterboard, which blocks the wi-fi signal.  There may be somewhere you can see what your house is made of. 

I'm not sure what you mean by a BT box - a Smart Hub or a fibre connector (ONT)?

0 Ratings