cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

smart plugs

Go to solution

Im trying to connect TP link smart plugs to my router but im having no luck, so after doing a bit of research im reading that smart plugs use  2.4ghz , if i was to disable the 5ghz in the router settings what happens to all the devices that use the 5ghz which are connected to the router?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: smart plugs

Go to solution

@bikeit 

Just temporarily disable 5GHz until the plugs connect, making sure your phone is still connected to 2GHz.

Once they are all connected, then enable   5GHz again.

The plugs initially transmit their own 2GHz wireless which you need to connect to, this enables you to configure them for your home hub SSID/password.

This process is common with smart devices.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you, just checked my phone Pixel 7 pro and it is set to 2ghz, when i finish should i set it to 5ghz?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Your phone will automatically choose the best signal when both bands are available

It will just be reporting which band it is using, you won't be able to select band

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks, got all smart plugs connected except one but it might be faulty, so after i switched 5ghz back on but all the devives that were connected to 5ghz are now connected to 2ghz how do i change them back to 5ghz?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If you turn off the WIFI on each device, then turn it back on, it should choose the best connection quality. Remember that 5GHz only has a short range.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Turn the 2.4Ghz off and then back on again. Or just leave the devices to choose. I would be extremely surprised if you can tell the difference between the speed of the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz on a single device. 2.4Ghz will be faster than 5Ghz at longer distance in any case.

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks a lot all sorted.

0 Ratings