cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

wifi gives me more speed than ethernet on my pc.

been on full fibre 100 for awhile, wireless easy get 140-150, but  ethernet only gets like 80 ish via ethernet on my PC is upstairs  it could be the cable it's purple and believe  it to be cata5, however this isn't easy to change since   the cable is in walls, celling's, and under floors so I don't see an easy way to replace this.. is there anyway to fix this without anything major or is that my only way.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: wifi gives me more speed than ethernet on my pc.

If the cable is Cat5 rather than Cat5e then that will be the issue, always assuming that the LAN adapter in the PC is gigabit capable & configured so. Can you run another cable temporarily to prove one way or the other? Or move the PC closer to the router to test?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

How old is the cabling?

Cat5e has been used in installs for so long and when people really started putting ethernet in their homes I would be surprised if simple cat5 would have been used, could be wrong if whoever it was had a load of Cat 5 to get rid of.

Look closely at the cable to see what its label is, you could also get a cheap ethernet cable testers from Amazon or something and make sure all 8 wires are correctly terminated. I bought as house once and whilst it was being build I asked for 'data points' in each room, they did such a poor job I only ever got 100Mbps link speed due to one or more of the wires not being in contact with the face plates, after they were all re-terminated 1000Mbps was there and it was Cat5e.

Another quick check would be on the PC/Laptop, check the network properties and check the link speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

As rb5416 said, if it is truely cat 5, it is only rated to 100Mb/s.  As naylor2006 said, cat 5e, (which is 1000Mb/s rated), has been around for a very long time now, so I would be surprised if it is cat 5.  Can you see how many wires are connected?  Cat 5 only used wires 1, 2, 3 and 6 and often that was all that was connected rather than connecting all 8.

It is also possible that there is a fault with the cable.  There are more nuances involved with network cabling than most people realise.  (Especially sparkies, shall I say...I bet I'll take some flak for that).  You only get the rated performance out of it if it is installed correctly.

How old is the PC?  If it is 10 years old or more, it more than likely only has an ethernet card rated to 100Mb/s.  Also, if it goes through a switch shared with a device with a 100Mb card that can often confuse the autonegotiation and drop it to 100Mb/s.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@naylor2006wrote:

Look closely at the cable to see what its label is

To elucidate, the cable specification is usually printed on the sleeve, like this:

rbz5416_0-1719242460173.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi, PC isn't that old it's more recent , it has 2.5gbe,   cable has been installed for many many years, through various installs  of different pcs I wanna say probably over 10 years probably more.   number on the cable reads 2835 doesn't say much info but that, possible it's faded off over the years... I should also add when I check my ethernet status it says 100mbps .. and I've checked the speed/duplex , and changing doesn't change anything... though by changing  it did manage to get around 90so it's deffo the cable.

never really noticed until full fibre.

also it was my dad that done it at the time, I assume it's a cable we had laying around and he just used it.

I don't know if these photos help but i've included them.IMG_20240625_002551428.jpgIMG_20240625_002558941.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Need to check the cables insulation and what’s written on it and if it’s cat5 or cat5e.

I did a giant cat5e run before and it took 4 attempts to terminate it to get 1Gbit, nowadays I just use Passthrough connections as it makes my success rate almost 100%.

From what you say it’s probably the cable, could be a break somewhere in one of the 8 wires, only takes one and it’s 100Mbps for you. That’s what I say get an Ethernet tester to make sure the cable is terminated correctly and you have the correct continuity on both ends in the right order.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings