cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: BT TV App (v2.0.0.0) not working - error WP041

It sounds like your PC/laptop is no longer supported for BT TV or BT Sport I'm afraid. You'll need to use a different device.
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

It still works on our main TV, but my wife enjoys watching her soaps on that, which is why I wanted to watch on my laptop!  I think it is pretty poor of BT to undertake an upgrade that prevents me from doing so within the first year of my taking out a subscription!

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

It's always going to be someone's first year. Both the BT TV and BT Sport apps were using ancient technology that hasn't been supported for a long time. We can't maintain support for old devices forever.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

It may be old technology, but the point I am making is that BT should not be selling it if their support in so restricted

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

It's not "so restricted".
You're in the minority here - most devices work ok.
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

I think you are confusing my issue and the one for @SuperDad . For mine, the issue is known and you have explained the issue earlier in the thread - you may recall the topics of PlayReady and Widevine.

I'm happy to try the Discovery+ option, but with a degree of irony, having followed the link, it says "We'll be right back" and then goes on to say "It should be back, better than ever, in a short while.". I couldn't help but smile... I will try later and let you know how it goes.

Another observation, I've just seen the @SeanD post on 21/7/2022 saying watching via BT Sport app will no longer be possible on Windows from 22/8/22, but states you will be able to from https://www.bt.com/sport/watch. However, when I go there and select EuroSport, it tries to load the BT Sport App! It does appear as though a number of things need tidying up. As for @SuperDad 's issue, there is a follow up to your reply.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

No confusion - WP041 in the BT TV app means the same thing for all users. It's not something we have any ability to work around - the browser is saying the hardware isn't capable of playing our content.

Previous reports of the video freezing for BT Sport in the web browser were of frame jumps - it'd freeze briefly and then play again. This was the hardware unable to keep up with our high frame rate video, and so have to skip frames. A fix was put in place to automatically lower the video quality to a level that the device could keep up with. The fact that this isn't helping @SuperDad's issue means it isn't a performance thing - the device video output just doesn't like the content. We have no way to diagnose this, and no way to fix it - it's almost certainly going to be device or driver related.

Regarding the web site launching the BT Sport app - I wasn't aware that was EVER a feature, so I'm confused by that. www.player.bt.com will launch the BT TV app by design, but www.bt.com should never launch the BT Sport app. I recommend you uninstall the BT Sport app anyway, as it'll never be enabled again.
0 Ratings