cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Now TV App now showing Ads

Go to solution

I have had BT youview for a few years now and often watch the Now TV app. I have never had ads on the app during a program - only short ads at the beginning if any. Normally if there is a break it only shows the title and then continues. However the last couple of weeks I have been getting ads at every break of a few minutes. 

Should this be happening and is there anyway I can get rid of them? Seems odd to have ads interrupting programs when is is a paid subscription.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Now TV App now showing Ads

Go to solution

It is a Now decison

"If you're a Cinema, Entertainment or Sports Member and you don't have NOW Boost, you'll probably be seeing ads when you watch on-demand shows, movies and sport.

We've been introducing ads gradually over the last few months.

Our live channels have always carried ads, and will continue to do so."

"If you upgrade to Boost, you won't see ads when you watch on-demand shows, movies and sport. You'll still see promotional trailers for shows, movies and events you can access, as well as ads that appear on live channel"

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Ah thanks for the information. This seems pretty rubbish - I just looked up Boost and it's an extra £5. I also see Full HD is part of Boost now as well as ad-free which both used to be the case for the normal subscription so seems like they're essentially just putting the price up £5.

It also says that Now TV trailers will still be shown. Doesn't seem worth it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I find it worthwhile as I have an extra tv box and I can watch now tv at the same time as someone else in the house but it's down to your requirements

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@ClareRM tbh if you have a decent tv, the Boost is worthwhile because you get full 1080p HD which gives a substantial improvement in picture quality 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I would like the have the full Hd because we do have a good TV, and would like no ads as well. It's just a annoying because both of those things used to be included in the price I pay now.

It's a separate story but my overall BT bill has gone up from £35 to £50 a couple of months ago for basic broadband and TV so making it £55 is steep for me. £35 is what we renewed the 24 month contract at back in Jan with that price expected for 12 months due to a deal, and after asking why it went up a couple of months later was told prices can change at any time and no way to bring it down. So I'm probably just a little annoyed to have to pay an extra £5!

Anyway thanks for the help, I will have a think about it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

NOW TV is a Sky owned business and the little add ons are a long established way for them to charge extra (just look at Q and Glass), for what many streaming services deliver for an inclusive price.

The big exception of course is Netflix, that also charges extra for better picture quality, although it doesn’t have ads.

If Sky could charge you for the air you breath while watching their content, they would.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@ClareRM 

In the three years I've been using Now it has never been FHD as standard but 720. This is perfectly watchable IMO opinion but I subscribe to Boost for the ability to watch on two screens, which was previously free. But I only pay £2 pm for that direct with Now.

Ofcom really ought to stamp down on these 24 month minimum term contracts as they're entirely unnecessary for broadband or TV. They've just been allowed to carry over from mobile contracts with handsets, as the price of flagship phones has soared. 24 month contracts unfairly penalise customers whose circumstances may well change in that time.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Yeah 24 months is a long time, especially if the price can change (I know it is mentioned in the contract that can happen, but I didn't expect it so soon and just a big rise). Suppose everything's going up in price. 

Thanks again for the help. I will have a think if Boost is worth it for me but at least there is an option to remove the ads - can stand them 🙂

0 Ratings