cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Selection of Premier League matches for TNT Sports 2023/24 season

I was wondering whether the responsibility for choosing which matches are going to be broadcast by TNT Sports ( subject to the necessary contract package and quota restrictions) has changed for the coming season. Simon Green had already departed before the beginning of last season. Does anyone happen to know if the decision is still being made by people within BT Sport ( possibly led by Jamie Hindhaugh or Marc Allera) or whether this has now been passed over to others within WBD? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Selection of Premier League matches for TNT Sports 2023/24 season

The BT Sport leadership team TUPE'd across to WBD as part of the JV - Jamie is still in charge, working for WBD instead of BT.
Message 3 of 12

Ok, thanks. It sounds as though it’s the same people making the selections as last season. I know that you’ve previously stated that you don’t watch sport. There has been speculation on a thread on another forum that the selections might be being made by someone different for this season. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Out of curiosity - is that being seen as a good or a bad thing (if it were true)?
Have previous selections been bad, and you're hoping for better? Or good, and you're hoping they don't get worse?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I’ll try and answer that as simply as I can without going into too much detail. Most seem to think that selections are more cautious so far in order to play the long game across the season as a whole. Sky have 128 matches in comparison to TNT’s 52. Sky have access to most of the best games by having control of 1st picks. TNT get 20 2nd pick matches and 12 5th pick matches on Saturdays and 20 matches from the mid-week package. 

TNT have to show each team at least once on their Saturday package of matches. Most people seem to think that they’ve used mainly 5th picks so far in order to meet this requirement. They will be able to use their 2nd picks later in the season to get more attractive matches. Opinions vary, but some of the selections when Simon Green was in charge were thought to be rather odd, but that’s without knowing what the objective was in terms of attracting/retaining subscriptions.

Message 6 of 12

I follow a pick selection speculation topic in another place and TBH the rules of the game are way beyond me. I am only really interested in if and when my team is being shown or failing that where to find live radio commentary.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

I’m guessing that you’re talking about the same thread that I referred to. Some of the guys on there have an incredible level of knowledge as to how the selection process works, and explain why the matches are chosen and also why some matches are not able to be chosen. It’s a fascinating thread and I’m often amazed at how ignorant some of our leading football journalists/correspondents appear to be in their lack of understanding as to how and why the matches to be broadcast need to adhere to the packages and quotas in the contract.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

TBH the Saturday lunchtime (12:30) slot is pretty unappealing  for my home viewing so its good that the one selection of genuine interest has been moved to 8pm.    

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

It would appear that TNT Sports are able to move that particular match to 8pm even before it is known whether Manchester United are going to be playing away from home in the Champions League on the Wednesday before. I suspect that they know that 8pm is a more appealing time and were only too willing to change it. Unless you’re referring to the Manchester City v Newcastle match which has had to be changed to 8pm due to City’s participation in the Super Cup the Wednesday before.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Simon left in summer 2022? 

The picker last year made some poor choices- incredibly BT got no Arsenal games after 1 April (apart from midweek round where BT show all 10 games from that round)  

I think part of problem as well was that BT showed man city, Liverpool and Everton alot early, so couldn't puck their run in matches either 

0 Ratings