cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

TNT Sports Ultimate - Confused

Hey,

I’ve rang BT a few times over this and can’t seem to get a clear answer with people saying different things so hoping someone one here can help!

Here’s the story:

- i previously had bt internet with tnt sport add on through broadband (so app only). And i wanted to upgrade the app to have tnt sports ultimate so i can watch in 4k.

-spoke to bt on the phone and it transpired that they can’t upgrade the app and the only way for me to get the ultimate channel is to get bt tv, with the sport add on, and the HD add on (which gives you ultimate), I went through with it as even though i dont want bt tv, they said it would upgrade the app so i was thinking i’ll find a use for the tv box but as long as i can watch on the app i’m fine (i use an apple tv box)

- i’ve received the bt tv box today, tnt sport ultimate is on there as expected. It’s not on my bt app, and it’s not on my discovery+ app ( i believe i have premium discovery), however i can see on the discovery app that all of the upcoming premier league games are showing with a 4K UHD symbol on them in the sports section of the app, so even though i cant see the ultimate channel it looks like i’ll be able to watch sports in 4k in some capacity through that app

- this has raised the question…..since i never really used the discovery app before, did i have that available to me all along (4k) by just being a tnt app subscriber through my broadband and this whole bt tv element was pointless for me to sign up to???

My bill is now £6 extra a month, but theres no point me paying that if i had 4k all along and just didn’t realise (since the ultimate channel isnt there on my discovery app i assumed)

The short of it is, if i get rid of bt tv in my cooldown period would i still be able to watch 4k on discovery + since i’m still a tnt sport subscriber through the app / broadband ?

And a second question, as it may be simpler than cancelling everything, if i just remove the hd add on from bt tv, i know i’ll lose ultimate on the tv but would i be able to still watch 4k on discovery?

Any help would be much appreciated !!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: TNT Sports Ultimate - Confused

If you're happy to only watch in the app then you are correct - you don't need the HD add-on. Ultimate is included as standard with all TNT Sports subscriptions. It'll be between 10 and 40 seconds behind the live channel, and quality may go up and down depending on line conditions.
Message 3 of 12

Cheers for the response, wish i had realised that before!

So just to confirm, you don't get the actual ultimate channel on discovery + ?however on the sports page, there will be some live events that display in 4k (arsenal match tomorrow for example) so thats the way you view in 4k on there?

also i cant see any 4k availability on the old bt sport app for me (i prefer that app to discovery) is that right?

Based on this, i was thinking of using the cooldown period to back out of having bt tv since i dont want/need it but i suppose if i just remove the rolling HD add on it puts my bill basically back to what it was prior to this whole thing except now i have a bt tv box

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

TNT Sports Ultimate is a part-time channel - when events aren't on, it just shows promo videos on loop. Thus it's not shown in the TV Guide. When an event is on, you can select the event to be taken straight to the TNT Sports UItimate view of it.
The BT Sport app no longer offers TNT Sports Ultimate - only the HD channels. It also doesn't offer any special player features, and replays aren't available anymore. It's just the basic channels, and clips/highlights.

In your position, I would keep the box. It costs you nothing, and having a BT TV subscription on your account gives you much more flexibility to change quickly in future. It also enables you to buy/rent box sets or movies any time you want, which you can't do with an app-only subscription.
Message 5 of 12

@Strongy123  There are a few replays of events in 4K on the discovery+ App  available  now. for example  if on the app you select Sports , navigate down a couple of clicks on the remote to the TNT Sports carousel  there are tiles for  Vanarama National league  and under its Latest Replays. The Rochdale Ebbsfleet Game is in 4K , Similarly if you select the Boxing tile  again under Latest Replays the Fight Night Live Davies - Cunningham is in 4K. (You will see 4K UHD in top left cover of the event tile).

Message 6 of 12

@Strongy123wrote:

Cheers for the response, wish i had realised that before!

So just to confirm, you don't get the actual ultimate channel on discovery + ?however on the sports page, there will be some live events that display in 4k (arsenal match tomorrow for example) so thats the way you view in 4k on there?

also i cant see any 4k availability on the old bt sport app for me (i prefer that app to discovery) is that right?

Based on this, i was thinking of using the cooldown period to back out of having bt tv since i dont want/need it but i suppose if i just remove the rolling HD add on it puts my bill basically back to what it was prior to this whole thing except now i have a bt tv box

Keeping the box and removing the HD add on makes sense. Plus if you set the box up in IP mode you'll have access to HD channels not available on Freeview at no extra cost. And of course you'll have a nice PVR to use which may come in useful going forward.

Message 7 of 12

Does the discovery+ app require the HD upgrade to show 4k HDR 'ultimate', or is that by default?

My father in law got the HD upgrade only for the 4k HDR on the BT Sport App but if it's not required, can that now be cancelled as a result of that feature now being withdrawn?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

It’s UHD HDR as a default on Ultimate, HD on other channels, no other subscription required, hence some people dropping the £6 monthly charge if they watch through app only and not the BT TV Pro box.

Mind you, the upgrade journeys in MyBT still seem to all be broken for me, so I couldn’t get the HD/4K add on back even if I wanted to.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Great - I'll cancel the extra amount for him so.

Sorry for the extra question, but what's the best way to cancel it? I'm finding it hard to do so through MyBT

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Appreciate all the replies. Good to know

In a turn of events, the quality of 4K seems much better on bt tv than the discovery app?

the same for anyone else or just me?

0 Ratings