cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT TV question

I'm considering adding BT TV to my fibre package. It's really not clear what quality the programs are: are they even HD? They talk about a Netflix SD subscription being included, which makes me think that nothing, or not much is HD, but the box they send handles 4K, and I'd expect many of the programs to be in 4K. The fact that they're not being specific makes me think that the quality isn't great. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT TV question

It depends on which package you take out @kirkmc - the VIP package includes channels in HD (where available) and BT Sport up to 4K.  Other packages have an HD add on available.

https://www.bt.com/tv/packages

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

How much is the HD add-on?

Are we in the year 2000? HD is not standard? How is that even possible?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Use the order journey on the web site to pick the package and add-ons to confirm the exact price for you. You don't have to complete the order if you decide the price isn't right.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

@kirkmcwrote:
How much is the HD add-on?

Are we in the year 2000? HD is not standard? How is that even possible?

£5.

Even Netflix packages start in SD and make you pay extra for HD, only Disney+, Prime Video and Apple TV+ from memory charge a flat price and then deliver the best picture they can. 

Actually I think you can add the BT Sport app to that list. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

I see, it's an additional £5 a month. That's pathetic; you send a set-top box that works in 4K, but only sell basic SD content. I'll go elsewhere. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

We sell content that goes all the way up to 4K HDR @kirkmc - the key word there being sell.

It would be more ridiculous to provide a box that didn't go up to 4K, and then expect customers to have to change the box if they they wanted to upgrade the quality.

The BT TV Box Pro provides the capability to do everything ... what you then choose to subscribe to is up to you.

Message 8 of 14

@kirkmcwrote:

I see, it's an additional £5 a month. That's pathetic; you send a set-top box that works in 4K, but only sell basic SD content. I'll go elsewhere. 

To be clear, that is only to get HD versions of some broadcast channels (and BT Sport Ultimate in 4K HDR if the line can handle it), and that is no different to any other pay TV provider in the UK.

If you have the right Netflix subscription for example, the box will deliver 4K HDR without any additional subscription from BT required. 

The Freeview channels available in HD will also be available without the additional charge, but if you want to watch BT Sport 1 or Sky Atlantic in HD, that is what the extra £5 gets you.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Selling content in SD when it is literally impossible to buy a TV in SD any more is ridiculous. Why not sell it in black and white and charge extra for color? I understand that BT is selling, but it is deceptive having the baseline in a quality that pretty much no one wants. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Would it be better if all the package prices were raised by £5 and included HD as standard?

Also - TVs may be HD, but what about broadband lines? If broadband isn't fast enough, then SD is the only option. Should people on slower broadband have to pay more for a TV service they can't use?

0 Ratings