cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Discovery channel no longer available.

Go to solution

I've just recently renewed my contract for both TV and FTTC broadband, the broadband remains the same but I downgraded my TV package from VIP to Big Sport (BT and Sky sports).

On the VIP package I could watch both Discovery and Discovery HD channels, now I can't but I am able to record them. Should I be able to watch live programmes on these channels with the Big Sports pack?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Discovery channel no longer available.

Go to solution

My understanding is that you do not have access to Discovery channel on the EPG on the Big Sport package, but you would be able to access it via Discovery+ ( live channel and on demand). It seems weird that you are able to record them though. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I wasn't sure if I did lose those live channels in the EPG by downgrading to Big Sports. I do get all the Discovery channels via Discovery+ app on my Samsung TV and online, but will be glad when it is available on the TV Box Pro.

It does seem strange that I am able to record the Discovery channel live, although that appears to be be from an old series link which is picking up repeats, I'll see if I can set any new recordings.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

You will still be able to set recordings, but if the channel is not part of your package it will not play back. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I believe that that currently BT  only include the Discovery linear channel in  flexible packages  Entertainment , Big Entertainment and VIP . Unfortunately  in my own experience BT seem to produce confusing/contradictory information on some of its customer information. 

You can with Big Sport and Sport packages get complmentary access to Discovery+ app which normally provides access to Discovery and several other channels.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Just tried to set new recording but not able to, also existing recordings will not play. No big deal as all channels are available on the app through my TV.

I agree that it is confusing who can and cannot get Discovery channel through the epg. Considering the the tie up with WB Discovery is for BT Sports it is surprising it is not available for Sports customers.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

The  joint venture  combined the BT Sport and Eurosport UK  rights  , Discovery channel  and the  other WBD rights would not fall into that category,Someone made the decision as to what gets included or not in what package. Would have been helpful to know  the logic but that is not something that BT have chosen to share with customers.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I don't understand the "confusion" tbh. Sport & Big Sports clearly don't mention discovery in the details on the website.

As an aside discovery is an entertainment channel so I wouldn't expect it to be in the purely sports packages anyway

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

As I said it's not a problem as I have Discovery+ anyway.  I just assumed (wrongly) that all BT TV customers had access to the Discovery channel through the epg.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@garybs29  confusion exists when different  information is conveyed in different places.

I saw Discovery listed when i checked details of an Existing BigSport  Package  today  - AMC  Discovery and Discovery + were listed as included. (in reality I believe only AMC and Discovery + should have been listed snd the Discovery listing is an error)

AMC is not a  sports channel , Now Sky News is not a sports channel but they are  both also included in Big Sports Package so there are two other examples of non sport linear channel included currently in Big Sport. So there are clear precedents for complementary non sports channels being included in Big Sports,

0 Ratings