cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Alternative fibre providers using BT ducts

Go to solution

I have fibre availability in my area from BT but don't have fibre to my home. I'm quite happy with my copper speeds. I have received a letter from Gigaclear to say they will be digging up the road and providing their own fibre, to which I can sign up or not. My question is; how can more than one company provide potential fibre connection in the same area/to the same address... either physically or legally or morally?  Presumably if successive companies don't keep digging up the road, then they are using the same conduit for their fibre. Is this potentially a problem technically... particularly when things go wrong? Could a legal precedent be set? And most important of all why should the consumer be hassled by a perpetual line of fibre providers (with potentially their own exclusive ISP's, which is tantamount to blackmail) all potentially digging up the road or otherwise disturbing our peace just to satisfy their competitive spirit?  Technology for the sake of it has just gone too far. (Never mind our being surrounded by EMF's (not from the fibre, I know!))

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Alternative fibre providers using BT ducts

Go to solution
You question doesn’t really concern BT , so this forum not really the appropriate place to discuss it , but if the Alt Net is going to be digging up the street then presumably they don’t use PIA ( physical infrastructure access , which is Openreach not BT ) or they do use PIA , but your street doesn’t have any Openreach infrastructure that they can utilise so they build their own and link it into Openreach infrastructure that they can utilise.
As far as how can many companies physically, legally or morally provide multiple networks in the same area , that’s the way competition works , you misunderstand what this particular company is doing , if they are excavating, then it’s to install its own network, not use someone else’s .
As far as residents being ‘hassled’ by construction of alternative networks, that’s just the way it is , if a company has ‘code rights’ to excavate in the public footpath/ carriageway , then you have no ‘right’ to stop them
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

As this is not specifically about a BT problem but more of a general question/discussion I have moved your post onto a more appropriate section of the forum. 

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

'My bad'. I didn't know that Openreach and BT were not one and the same company. We have OR PIA and the new company has dug up and linked to that.

With regard to 'competition'.  Would you accept 3 supermarkets setting up next to each other in your village?  There is a line that should not be crossed and if we don't make a fuss about it, we will get trodden on!  We can't just accept that 'that's just the way it is'.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I’m not making a judgement on competition in the market place ,  simply that it’s a fact of life and the powers that be are convinced that it’s impossible for competition not to be a good thing , so as far as any oversupply, like if three supermarkets set up in a tiny village, that’s their commercial decision and therefore the fact that are competing against each other is seem as ‘good’ by the authorities and not ‘bad’ , irrespective of what you or I may think