cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BUSINESS LANDLINE CHANGED WITHOUT CONSENT

Go to solution

i have had a business landline for more than 33 years. This number is literally memorised by out customers and is on more than 25,000 leaflets. 

today i came in to place of business and no phone calls being received. When dialled it says this number is not recognised. After dialling out I noticed a different number. 

i called up BT immediately, once I had spoken to an advisor they had notified me that the team they need to speak with is unavailable at this current time but they have noticed that a request was made to change this from my phone number. I immediately told them I had not made any requests at all, they checked and seen there has been no phone calls made between myself and BT at all this year so this was a bit of a suspicious. 

I have also today received a new wifi router today which was NOT ordered by anyone under the business name but a random individual name that has nothing to do with my company. Once this router arrived my number stopped working. 

I don’t understand how any of this has happened. They stated that a text message was sent to my phone number on 19th december to stop this number change. i never delete any text messages and after going through I received no text messages on the 19th. they even stated a letter was sent, no letter received. 

This is a bit stressful now as I have no phone line for my business that has been running for 33 years! We are the busiest time of the year and I can’t take a phone call for an order or bookings. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BUSINESS LANDLINE CHANGED WITHOUT CONSENT

Go to solution

@Diwanbalti 

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Specifically https://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Phone-line/bd-p/Phone-systems

Its possible you have been moved to Cloud Voice, but you should have been informed of this beforehand, and I would not have expected a number change. You will probably have to speak with BT Business Sales, to get this sorted.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

If you are a BT Business user you will need to post on the BT Business Forum as no one here can assist you.

Home - BT Business Community

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Was your ‘business’ line a proper business tariff or a residential line used for business purposes ?.
The ‘rules’ around business lines isn’t necessarily the same as residential, but if residential ( arguably you using the service in violation of the T&C’s ) there are protections that appear to have been observed, namely, in case of slamming or  someone mistakenly using your address for their services, ( or even a malicious attempt to inconvenience you ) a ‘sorry to see you go’ communication is sent , advising that if this is an error , to call within a set period so the migration can be cancelled , obviously you state no such communication was sent , but it’s entirely possible it was sent but never received, potentially lost  or delayed in the Xmas post , you may think it’s a poor way to pick up ‘errors’ , but it’s the regulator that obliges BT ( and everyone else ) to use this system , they don’t want a dual lock where the customer advises the old company, it’s a gaining provider led process.

Obviously, in genuine cases ( as opposed to malicious cases ) it’s usually an ambiguity with the address that causes the new provider to pick your address in error , instead of the address the customer making the order really wants service at , so is there anything out of the ordinary about your address ?

Given the statement about taking bookings, is this is hotel / guesthouse or similar ?

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Business line has always been registered as business use for the past 33 years. No issues with that whatsoever. 

nothing out the ordinary about my address and like I mentioned no communication was sent. The lady even stated that there has been no logs of me calling to make this change. 

She confirmed no email was sent just a text message and letter which I received neither. 

We are a restaurant/takeaway

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Diwanbalti 

Then you need to post on the Business forum, as this is just a BT Retail customer to customer help forum, and would not be able to assist you further.

It looks like someone has taken over your line by mistake. Perhaps they moved into a flat/apartment which is part of the property?

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Yes i have already done this. Thanks for your help