cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband for someone else?

Go to solution

Hello, I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, to be honest I had no idea where to post such an odd question... 

My old Mum is moving into a retirement bungalow soon and my Wife and I would like to get her online. We'd ideally like to do it in our name, using our address as the billing address and I wondered if anyone would know if this is possible. 

My mum thinks the Interweb is the devil and is terrified of technology, she also hates new things BUT the advantages of her being online will outweigh the inevitable reticence. For one thing, we can buy her an Amazon Echo and that'd allow voice calls to our own system should she throw herself on the floor and snap some bones or something equally inconvenient, for another she could have some company via the easy-to-use Radio etc. 

The snaffoo is that she won't want it, if we suggest she get it she'd say yes but mean no, so we wondered if we could take a broadband package out in our name, with our billing information and simply pay for it for her. That way all she's got to do is accept that it's there and Robert is your Mothers Brother, hooray! 

I realise it may be a dumb a question in the wrong place so apologies for that, and yes, the idea of ringing BT had occurred to me, I'm just not quite ready to waste 2hrs of my life talking to someone who probably won't have a clue what I'm talking about and figured I'd try this route first as it may save me a call. Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband for someone else?

Go to solution

If the property has decent mobile coverage maybe consider trying a 4/5G solution first before committing to a 24 month contract?

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

if your mother qualifies for BT essentials then it would be advantageous to get your mother onboard with broadband so contract in her name but you could still pay the cost

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, she does qualify but we'd never heard of it until I started looking around this morning, it's certainly something I'm going to talk to her about although, knowing her, she'll refuse because of the reasons... sheesh! I appreciate your comment, thanks again. 

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Good idea, thank you. It's something we had considered as an option but didn't really know where to start tbh. I think we'll certainly take a look into it. We really need to ambush her with a "Ta-daaaah" type of thing or she won't do it or allow it to be done. She's lovely but a bit stuck in her ways