cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Close cable

Go to solution

I am sure I've seen the answer to this on the Forum, but cannot find it, so sorry for asking if it's already been answered......

How close to your property can a telecom cable be if it is not supplying your property?

My next door neighbour has had an "upgraded" (his words) broadband installation done by Openreach. Instead of taking the overhead cable from a nearby pole (as his old installation was) they have taken it from a pole much further away.

The result being the cable cuts across my property at a very shallow angle. It is so close at one point that I can reach out of an upstairs window and touch it.

It's not causing any problems at the moment, but it might be an issue if I needed to get a ladder up to do any maintenance to my gutters or fascia.

Is there a minimum distance that the cable should be from my house?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 3 of 9

Re: Close cable

Go to solution

New to the forum but I noticed your answer to the close cable was very thorough.  
Could you therefore tell me if its acceptable for my new fibre install cable from a pole overhead to be touching next doors downpipe guttering hopper.  I complained in the first instance as the cable was deflecting around the downpipe which they came out and supposedly rectified.  It now doesn’t deflect around it but is nevertheless still touching the hopper.  This is because the cable comes to my property at such a shallow angle.

I’m concerned the wind will cause it to rub against the hopper and eventually fail.  Should I raise another complaint or is it indeed acceptable as the openreach sub contractor claims?

Many thanks in anticipation 

John

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@JohnG1446 

I just linked to @Starwire's post, so he's better placed. But his post seems to answer your question, that the contractor has apparently taken the easiest route for them. It might carry more sway if your neighbour also complains to Openreach.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks rbz but I can’t seem to find which post is relevant to my question.  
I’m sure a cable shouldn’t be touching the guttering though in any case never mind the 1 metre infringement.

I’ve messaged subcontractor so see what they come back with … a fob off I’m thinking

cheers

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

What’s a Hopper?

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

😂😂 only description I could think of. It’s where rain  collects from gutter to go down the drainpipe.  Basically the fibre cable is touching it and even when it’s slightly windy it’s rubbing on it and banging against it.  Probably get worse come winter time.  Don’t really understand why it was installed like this but the subcontractor said it was ok but in a phone conversation he said the cable shouldn’t be touching anything.  As I said it is also close to next doors property as the pole it comes from is a distance away and the angle of the cable from the pole is quite obtuse. See attached picture of “hopper” or whatever it’s called 😁  They’ve had two attempts now and all I want is it doing right. I’ve been very patient.  If it is acceptable fair enough.

8EBB5652-F13A-442D-B7FE-89488ACD598E.jpeg

cheers

John

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Can it not be attached to the brick work?

Is the Pole it comes from on the same side of the road to the house?

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

That’s my point really Starwire, there’s lots of places it could have been attached well away from the gutter whilst not interfering with the security camera.  Even further along the soffit or fascia.  

So would you say it’s acceptable where it is?

Also yes the pole is on the same side and obtuse was probably wrong thinking about it.  The angle is very narrow because of the distance to the pole and that it’s on the same side as the house.

Thanks

John