cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Does Voneus Share Poles?

We don't currently have full fibre in our village but Voneus have applied to put new poles up and will soon be providing full fibre.

Do Voneus have to share the poles they put up with BT or will it be a case of either Open Reach putting even more poles up, or we will only have the option of joining Voneus?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: Does Voneus Share Poles?

It's unlikely that Openreach will install in an area where FTTP is already available but they're the only ones that will know future plans.

Message 3 of 29

Is this why there is a mad rush to get the poles up everywhere to effectively be the 1st to get their own poles up to deter other providers doing the same.

Isn't this just going to create a monopoly?

Message 4 of 29

This video sums up the full fibre race we are seeing across the nation. https://youtu.be/bJ73FMEzIBs

Openreach have a service called PIAthat allows other telecom infrastructure providers to share it's ducts and poles but it's up to voneus if they use that or install their own ducts and poles

Message 5 of 29

No because they're are hundreds of small ISP's installing their own fibre networks in small towns and villages. Openreach will concentrate on the bigger cities and areas. I live 2 miles out of Leicester city centre and the FTTP in our street is being laid by City Fibre but we have GFast at 150mbps which is rock solid and plenty fast enough so I wouldn't leave BT to join some shonky company regardless of how fast their broadband or how good their offer is but it's down to individual consumer choice at the end of the day 

Message 6 of 29

I really can't see how their business model is sustainable, they are spending millions like money is going out of fashion and the charging peanuts for their services. They will all be bust in 10 years time.

Gigaclear are putting fibre in our small village and I really don't see that the take-up will anything like cover the costs.

Message 7 of 29

It seems crazy

If  people in our village don't move to Voneus the infrastructure is there and not being used.

If people do move, the price will probably double once everyone is effectively trapped.

Why is it that  OpenReach have to share but not others?

What's going to happen if infrastructure is put in, the provider goes bust, will we just end up with unmaintained systems?

Why isn't the government putting in an infrastructure that can be shared?

Message 8 of 29

@licquorice wrote:

I really can't see how their business model is sustainable, they are spending millions like money is going out of fashion and the charging peanuts for their services. They will all be bust in 10 years time.

Gigaclear are putting fibre in our small village and I really don't see that the take-up will anything like cover the costs.

They are doing exactly the same as the Electricity and Gas Suppliers that sprung up to compete with the "Big Six" energy companies.

Look how that has turned out at the first sign of a problem, thirty one of them went bust leaving over two million customers in the lurch and the "Big Six" having to pick up the pieces.

Message 9 of 29

It sounds even worse

I've been reading this - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/7324...

This bit sounds frightening

"As full fibre networks are rolled out, maximising the number of people using them will secure the
full benefits of the technology. This will involve customers moving onto new fibre networks and
retiring the legacy copper networks. Running copper and fibre networks in parallel is both costly and
inefficient."

Does that effectively mean when Voneus (or any other provider) have set up their own private lines, the existing OpenReach ones will eventually be closed leaving people with no option but to use Voneus

Have the MP's all got shares in these new providers?

Message 10 of 29

@sim64 

Why is it that OpenReach have to share but not others?

Openreach and BT Group is heavily regulated as it was seen as a monopoly and seen as having  significant market power. Hence OFCOM the regulator has put processes and rules in place that apply to Openreach and the rest of the BT Group.

Other AltNets are not as heavily regulated for example having to have a Physical Infrastructure Sharing Agreement in place.

Re the closure of the PSTN network and shifting to full fibre see: https://landlinesgo.digital/openreach-retiring-our-copper-network

Essentially and reasons why there's lots of full fibre being deployed by Openreach and Alnets is we are moving to a full fibre national and is a government's ambition to do so.