cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Fibre optic cable in my flat but everywhere says there's no fibre in my area

Go to solution

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this.

I've just moved home, and have been trying to get my internet sorted. My flat came with a fibre optic cable with an SC connector (as told to me by someone from Reddit). Problem is, every provider and comparison site I've looked at has said that fibre isn't available in my area. 

How would I go about getting fibre internet with this cable?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre optic cable in my flat but everywhere says there's no fibre in my area

Go to solution

If it is just a fibre cable with no ONT (fibre modem) fitted, it won't be an Openreach cable.

Ask a neighbouring flat which provider they have.

Message 3 of 5

Re: Fibre optic cable in my flat but everywhere says there's no fibre in my area

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

It's connected to an APFutura box on the wall, which I'm trying to find out about though am currently failing, apologies for my lack of knowledge on the subject.

I looked at the networks in the building, and most seem to be with Hey broadband, but according to their site they're not currently available in my area

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I suspect this has nothing to do with BT or Openreach, as Hey Broadband are an alternative network provider. Openreach do not use APFutura boxes.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first, but leave the exchange name and cabinet number showing.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

BT won’t be available over that optical cable , and this forum isn’t the appropriate place to discuss other providers availability, in general though comparison sites display the availability and offers from ISP’s that pay them a commission ,  any particular comparison site shouldn’t be taken as showing all availability.

If the network provider/ISP you think own the cable within your flat ,  say no availability perhaps it’s because their network was not dimensioned on having enough capacity for every dwelling and your particular portion of their network is full , but as stated that’s nothing to do with BT