cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Gaming with the 1gig package

Other words, at some point you will wants more, because end of the day you paying for 900 Mbps and you wants maximum possible....

At some point of this year (maybe) will arrive Super Hub 3, which will really "speed up the game"

It might be your "next step" when SH2 becomes bottleneck 🙂 

Message 12 of 16

But surely 900mb will be enough my virgin 500 runs those devices perfectly fine. You've cast serious doubt into my mind now. You mention bottle neck but I don't have that problem on a 500mb down 40 up but bt have told me I'll have guaranteed 700 down 110 up on a FTTP connection where as my virgin hasn't got that.

Message 13 of 16

Gosforth no disrespect intended but im seriously struggling to understand what you are saying. Alot of the sentences you have written to me don't make sense either on a technical level or just grammatically.  I've simply explained my set up and explained what package I'll be moving on from once I have left virgin media. I've also explained how my set up is and how I intend to add additional smart technology to my set up. This is a very stressful time for me and it's a big decision as I'm about to enter a new contract with another big corporation and leave another. On one of your posts you seriously cast doubt into my mind about joining BT. For reference it was the post you broke down the bandwidth and what router channels certain devices latch onto. I just need answers to the questions which you and other users can see below please....

Is BT broadband reliable In your experience?

I've been promised 700mb down. Generally speaking does it stay up towards the 900mb and over or drop to the minimum promised speed?

I have 6/7 devices on WiFi and two on ethernet. Surely the BT 900MB will be able to handle it considering my virgin 500download and 40 upload can? The last thing I want to have is my partner and I playing our games at the same time over ethernet and experience lag. 

Message 14 of 16

It is personal preference of course. But I would say it's worth it. The 900Mbps/Gigabit speed is the line speed into the property. When it comes to Wifi, that's going to vary on factors (walls, distance, interference) which includes equipment. Some routers, or distribution systems like Powerline (usually limited to about 150Mbps via electrical wiring of a house), or Extenders themselves may not necessarily have the bandwidth to transfer the whole 900Mbps. This is rarely noticed, or important, if the line speed is slower than the capability of the Home Network. But once you start getting faster "internet speeds", then you notice it. Another factor is the receiving device has to actually also have the antenna capability to receive such high speeds as well. Generally speaking, that would be Wifi 6 devices more so than Wifi 5 devices. You would notice for instance (all other things being equal) that two Tablets (e.g. iPads) of two different generations (one being Wifi 5 and the other Wifi 6) might get different speeds at the same location on the same network. 

Wired connections are generally speaking the best and only way to get the full speed to the other side of the house. In the example you mentioned of your friend with BT 1 Gig and the PS4, if you're worried about something similar happening (or perhaps what he/she could do), you could either use some internal Ethernet like you mentioned. Or else, certain Mesh systems like the Netgear Orbi AX6000, Asus Zen XT12, Amplifi Alien etc, or BT's Whole Home Wifi 6, might be able to better get a lot of that 900Mbps line speed around the home. You could then wire in to the satellite unit to get a faster speed closer to the main Router speed (which is near the ONT). Those aforementioned systems use a dedicated band (well except for the Alien, but it looks cool) purely for communication between the internal network. It all depends on personal preference and convenience whether the homeowner can run internal, or external cables, or prefers wireless solutions etc. 

I would say yes for £5 it's worth it. Now reading your post again, in terms of lag, I guess wired is the way. But at least wiring into a satellite would give you as good as possible a connection versus totally wireless.

As for the line speeds, whilst theoretically there is contention on the national network as a whole if multiple households were all gaming, or downloading video all at once, I do think the FTTP speeds in general are pretty consistent. Pretty solid full 900 here. At the moment, I think you have to go for your own Mesh system/wired solution though as the current (as of writing) Routers and Wifi offerings from the ISPs are not really designed for the 900Mbps packages. The fastest the home network can go will always depend on the slowest link in the chain between the ONT and your device. 

Message 15 of 16

I don't care about speed to the WiFi devices along as they don't interfere with my ps5 which will be on ethernet. I'm basically asking will those devices take to much bandwidth from the ps5 which will be hooked up via a cat 6?  Regarding the router should it be able to shoot out 800mb with jitter free packet loss free connection to my ps5 via ethernet ?

Message 16 of 16

It's highly unlikely that you'll get those speeds over WiFi regardless of sync speed and router. Ethernet is definable the way to go . 

With regards to other devices running, with a  900mbps connection, you'll have more than enough bandwidth available and WiFi devices shouldn't impact you.