cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How do I stop BT sending me letters for previous owner

Go to solution

Please could somebody help me. I keep getting letters for the old house owner who moved to the USA in July 2021. I keep sending them back saying return to sender and she moved but then I keep getting more.

I am not a BT customer, have not been so for about 20 years and have never been so at this address. This makes calling the phone number difficult because my issue doesn't fit in any of these and I have no BT phone number to enter when it asks. 

It's getting really annoying now that I keep getting these after 18 months. Please could someone tell me what a non-customer is supposed to do about these?

Note: I don't know what they are apart from 'not a circular' because I don't think I am allowed to open mail addressed to somebody else?

Thanks a lot!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I stop BT sending me letters for previous owner

Go to solution
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Just put them in the bin in the same way as you would with any other junk mail that arrives through your door.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Thank you - the problem is that it's not mail sent to me, just to my address. It looks like the form is for a person.
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Update: I found out that if you ring the BT phone number and just don't enter anything, eventually you get through to a person. The person answered, asked me to hang on, then the phone went silent for a long time and she never came back. Great phone service.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@delver wrote:
Thank you - the problem is that it's not mail sent to me, just to my address. It looks like the form is for a person.

A person who does not live at that address! You have no legal obligation to return it to sender or forward it to the name on the envelope. Just bin it.