cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

My home location showing on Maps type apps is wrong.

Go to solution

Hi, 

Not sure the correct place to post this.

In September i renewed BT BB contract and installed the new SH2. A few days after my location would show up correctly on location apps at my home on my ipad ( non sim gps model). From about a week ago it stopped working saying "Location could not be Found" . This happens on all apps that show or need my location not just the Maps app. Sometimes it shows in in my neighbours house which is about 50m away. Which is a bit annoying as  Find My.... shows my ipad next door.  This seemed to coincide with a router reboot and the  BT WIFI hotspots bring renamed EE ( although that might be a red herring)

I've contacted Apple and all the settings and checks are OK so they suggest I contact my provider. 

I suspect this is something to do with the new SH2 SSID and mac address location not being updated where ever and who ever stores the locations of wifi spots and nothing to do with BT.

Any suggestions or comments

Thanks 

Ade.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: My home location showing on Maps type apps is wrong.

Go to solution

Its the BSSID (Wireless card MAC address) that would have changed when you had a new home hub. It will take a while for Google, and other location services, to record your home location against the new BSSID.

Your location is also determined by which POP (Point Of Presence)  node you are connected to, which can be anywhere in the UK.

Each time your IP address changes, you are likely to get a different location. Your IP address would most likely to change if you restart or disconnect your home hub.

Some location services like Google, allow you to update your true location using a GPS connected phone, and going into Google maps.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

thanks Keith,

I had sort of guessed as much about the BT SSID etc from searching the internet but thought I'd ask anyway.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If anyone else reads these posts finally the location gods have worked out where the new router is. It has taken two months but my location now works on the various map apps etc. 

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Do you really want your location available to the rest of the world?  I deliberately camouflage mine.