cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Ovehead lines just 1m above ground

Go to solution

We moved into a property last year that is on a steep hill. Our garden is terraced and slopes upwards away from the house, with the highest point being perhaps 30 meters higher than the lowest point. Beyond our garden the hill continues upwards even further into some woodland. 

Within the woods there are BT poles (marked with BT signage and literature dated 2021 - no mention of Openreach nor any other organisation). There is an overhead cable that runs from a pole in the woods at a steep angle down to a metal connection on the corner of our roof. Due the steep hill and the nature of our garden, this cable is dangerously low relative to our terraces - at one point in the middle of our garden I literally have to duck to get under it. 

Do we have rights or recourse to request that this cable be moved or re-routed somehow - and if so, how? It seems at incredibly high risk of causing an accident at some point.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ovehead lines just 1m above ground

Go to solution
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the responses - it seems premature for someone to have marked this as solved before I've had a chance to contact Openreach and confirm that the suggested contact option does actually solve this. It explicitly says "outside the boundary of your property" which does not apply in this case, and it also refers only to damage - again, not applicable in my case.

I will try and contact the number given and report back, but perhaps best to wait for those in a position to confirm the issue is solved before hastily marking it as such?

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @_username, sorry you're not happy that this was marked solved. 

I marked it solved as this needs to be raised directly to Openreach. If any users check in future with this scenario then they will know that they need to deal directly with Openreach.

Thanks

John

Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks - I understand the desire to point people to Openreach instead of BT, but in reference to future users with this scenario its surely best to make sure the contact given is actually able to solve the issue. My suspicion is that there is a high chance it's going to be more complicated than that.

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@_username 

it probably will take a bit more correspondence/calls with openreach but there is nothing this BT Retail community  forum can do to help you with your cable problem with openreach.  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Yes I understand that - if the goal of marking answers as 'solved' is simply 'point users away from BT regardless of whether the signposted solution actually works' then this seems fine. 

But again, if the goal of marking an answer as 'solved' is to give future users the best chance of solving the issue, pointing them to a phone number that explicitly advertises itself as not being applicable to the issue at hand and then marking it as solved without checking if it actually worked, does not seem aligned with the goal.

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

you never actually said if you are a BT Retail customer or with another ISP?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Correct, I did not.