cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

All 4+ Not in HD!

Go to solution

I subscribe to All4+ £4.99 a month, this provides all on demand in HD and free of adverts. If I stream All4+ via:

Firestick

Apple TV

LG TV

SAMSUNG TV

The service provided is ad free and crisp HD, extremely so on Apple. But via my BT Pro I'm only getting a SD stream AD free.

I have tried several different streams the latest being tonight's programme on Putin but only SD via BT but HD through other platforms.

Why is this? Can someone from the tech team please help.  I'd prefer to use BT to keep all my viewing through one platform whenever possible.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: All 4+ Not in HD!

Go to solution

I believe a ALL 4+ subscription  provides  an ad free viewing experience . 

You don't need an All 4 + subscription to watch All 4 in HD .

All 4 provides HD content on some platforms and  SD content on others. That is determined by Channel  4.  So the absence so far of  HD content on All 4 player on YouView platforms which BT TV boxes use is clearly a strategy they have so far opted to apply. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your quick reply, they do advertise 4+ as AD free and HD. It seems strange that 4+ is HD on the platforms I've listed but not BT!

I was hoping BT would be my one stop answer but it's Apple TV that's coming up with the goods, if only there was a decent EPG pulling everything together 🤨

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

The All4 app is native to Youview and not BT TV. There are many variations of Youview boxes so Channel 4 have to cater for the lowest spec'd boxes to avoid compatibility issues. Some of the earlier variants of Youview boxes may not be capable of running All4 in HD so they have to make it non HD across the board to avoid breaches of OFCOM license rules. 

Freeview+ wouldn't be affected as that's a relatively new platform and the app provided to Apple TV, Roku, Sky etc is subject to a different and independent carriage agreement and is separate to Channel 4's general OFCOM license I'd imagine.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Is there any update to this? Having moved from sky, this is a bit of a basic let down. Also, having to pay extra for All 4+ and equivalent ITV X premium to remove ads is a bit disjointed and you still don't get HD on catch up. This was not the case with Sky who made it all seemless.

Hope there are some improvements in the pipeline.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I have all new Sony and Samsung HD TV's and cannot get 4+ in HD despite it saying HD on the screen despite switching to ad free, and I know the programs were originally put on terrestrial Ch4 in HD.

Take "Gogglebox" for instance, on Netflix and Amazon Prime it is in full perfect HD, but not on the Channel4 4+streaming who made it! WHY?

The fact that in the UK Netflix and Amazon can do it in HD means 4+ can too. The Ofcom excuse is a joke frankly as it is in breach of the UK Gov. Trades Descriptions Act which supersedes it as Ofcom, which is independent, allegedly? The UKTDA are quite clear about breaches of the UKTDA re getting what you are paying for and  guarantees as to  what you will get.

Channel 4 are clearly in breach  of the UK Trades Description Act.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@tomham274 to further confuse Channel Four's policy on 4OD or whatever they're calling it today, we have a new Samsung QLED and All4/4OD is in HD for us... 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I no longer have BT the lack of HD and other issues at the time made me move on.  I use no provider now running everything through Apple TV. Cheaper and flexibility and now it has a UK TV launcher it does the job.

All apps HD for UK except MY5 but they are scheduled to switch their app HD.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
*oops I forgot to mention the All4 app is HD via the Samsung app...
0 Ratings