cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT Box pro

Go to solution

Hello, 

I’ve just set up the BT box pro, but can’t get the remote to control the TV, which works over the hdmi cable, can only think that the tv is too old and doesn’t support control over hdmi.

Now the tv could do with an upgrade so I’m looking for a new one, most of them have hdmi ports that are eARC compatible.

Is eARC what’s needed for remote over hdmi?

Thanks👍

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Box pro

Go to solution

No Arc is an audio return path, so if you have a receiver or soundbar in HDM! 1 (arc) and say a firestick in HDMI 2 the TV can display HDMI 2 but send the audio through HDMI 1

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

No.

A simple test (sticking my hand between the remote and the TV) tells me that it's a dual remote, it uses Bluetooth to communicate with the box but it still uses Infra Red to control the TV so the HDMI doesn't come into it

Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

That's useful to know @Les-Gibson.

So the issue here is that the Pro Box is failing to identify the TV, which it should do over HDMI. The OP does say it's old so maybe it doesn't identify itself, or it's an obscure brand that the Pro Box doesn't have in its database. There should really be a fallback manual process to enter a code like with the Humax boxes.

@Chuckster 

It may be worth trying again with a different HDMI cable & if the TV has more than one, a different port.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Yes all I can find out regarding the hdmi eARC is it mentions audio return, but no real mention of communication, which there must be over it surely.

im using the supplied cable that came with the box supplied by bt, which they stressed to use.

The tv is made by LG and was manufactured about late 2009.

The only other thing I can find out is a system called hdmi cec which allows control over hdmi, but no tv really specs this so maybe it’s just the norm?

There is definitely no infrared on this remote as far as I can see, it’s black plastic all around with no led or window for an ir led..

It looks like should control the tv via hdmi instead of infrared, yes I agree there should be more documentation on this from bt support.

Does it work ok for all you guys with newer tv’s?

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

There will be no issues with trying another HDMI cable/port, there's nothing special about the one in the box.

TV isn't that old so I'd expect it to identify itself & the box should be able to control it.

CEC is the generic term for interactive control between devices. Manufacturers have for some unknown reason decided to each give it a different name. LG apparently call it Simplink. So it would be worth checking that it's switched on in the TV menu.

I can confirm that the remote definitely does have IR, despite no obvious window. If you view the remote through a digital camera/phone, you should be able to see it when a button is pressed.

BT.jpg

There have been a few posts like yours but not enough to suggest it's widespread. Mine is connected via an Arcam amp so that doesn't work, but I imagine most connected directly do.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks for that.
I did have a quick read earlier about LG and Simplink, I’m sure when I switched hdmi cables the tv flashed up with something like this, but disappeared too quickly before I could read it.
I’ll have a look in the tv settings later and hopefully I’ll be able to turn it on.
I’ll come back later with the results!
Thanks again for the help👍
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson My Pro Box remote still will not via Bluetooth, onlly line of sight. Not thats a big deal tho.

Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@scharter 

That's interesting. 

You can reset your remote (should you wish) by holding down Home and 9 at the same time until the LED behind the power button flashes three times, you can also manually select IR mode (again, should you wish to) by holding down Home and 7 in the same manner but there is a question of whether or not it later reverts to Bluetooth of its own accord, your experience would seem to answer that question.

Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson  Thanks for your reply.

Previously tried the Home/9 button to no avail, wasn't aware of the Home/7 buttons.   Tried it, still no blue tooth.  No worries, I'll  live with it.