Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Considering BT

Considering BT as Sky package going through the roof

can I just ask a few questions please

picture quality is this on par with sky/uhd

i have a main box and 3mini boxes - is this possible with BT?

can you record of the main box ?

do I need an aerial ?

sorry for the questions just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing 

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Considering BT

Hi @murphymoo 

I’ve moved to BT TV after a painful year with Sky Glass. Answers based on my experience:

1) UHD picture on par for BT Sport Ultimate and Netflix, Amazon Prime. No UHD option for now TV content so Sky sports HD only (with HD add on).

2) No you can only have the main box and one mini box. Not a show stopper for me as the rest of my house has smart tv’s with BT Sport App and NowTV app giving me access to same content.

3) Yes you can record 2 channels at a time in IPTV mode or 4 if using an aerial.

4) No BT TV has IPTV mode but not as many channels as aerial mode.

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/guide/ip-freeview-guide

They do offer aerial installation for £30 when you sign up if there are free view channels you require.

Some apps missing compared to Sky, no Disney+, YouTube and currently no Discovery+, however this is due anytime soon due to the partnership between BT and WBD. 

For me, most of the channels I watch are covered and use my AppleTV for the missing ones, Skys increase priced themselves out for me given Glass still needs work.

No real issues with BT all worked as expected and Pro box is very responsive. BT are moving all residential customers over to their EE brand and the service is due to be rebranded EETV. Hope to see some investment so it does rival Sky so people like me who can’t get virgin have another decent competitor.

MikeAlanR

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

@murphymoowrote:

i have a main box and 3mini boxes - is this possible with BT?

can you record of the main box ?

Just to be absolutely clear, you can record on the main box but cannot access those recordings on a multiroom box the same way as you can with Sky Q.

This may or may not matter to you. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

So basically if I record something on my main box I couldn’t watch it on the other box maybe in the bedroom ?

seems odd - can I still have catch up or on demand ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

@murphymoowrote:

So basically if I record something on my main box I couldn’t watch it on the other box maybe in the bedroom ?

Correct.

@murphymoowrote:

seems odd - can I still have catch up or on demand ?

It seemed weird to many of us at the time who questioned it when the BT TV mini box was launched. The feedback was it wasn’t seen as needed with the range of catch up services available.

As you can watch Freeview, use catch up services, NOW, Discovery+ and BT Sport apps on such a wide range of devices, you have to question why you would bother with the BT multiroom offering?

Literally the only benefit I can see is live channels over WiFi if you don’t have an aerial and that is important to you.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

It’s difficult to justify paying £10 for an extra box subscription for reasons detailed above. We’ve got 2 BT Pro tv boxes, one from BT and the other bought off eBay. We have the BT one set up in IP mode and the other one in aerial mode. We only have one subscription though. There are a few programmes in the NOW Entertainment package that aren’t available available on demand in catch up that would need to be watched live or recorded if you really want to watch them. 

Message 7 of 24

Just to clarify, as we only have one subscription we are only able to have one of our boxes set up in IP mode.

Message 8 of 24

I agree with what at @Brucemeister5 is saying about it's now hard to justify paying extra to get  a BT min box for another room. When 90% of the programmes that are on the now channels are also on catch up via the Now app.

Just buy a second hand Youview box and get an Amazon Firestick then you are saying on the xtra monthly cost of the BT mini box for another room.

I cancelled BT TV over a year ago and went with Now direct with discounts and just over2 weeks ago switched from BT FTTC to Sky on a similar package for FTTC.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Can you get the same channels on Now as Sky/BT such as sports etc ?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

@murphymoo Mostly all the same channels. I say mostly as you cant get AMC or if you have sport you will lose the two Eurosport channels but apart from that its mostly all the same channels.

I dont have the sports package just entertainment, Sky Cinema and the Now HD boost.

0 Ratings