cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Control soundbar volume on BT pro TV box

Hi there,

Im looking for help after getting my BT pro TV box.

I previously had a sky Q box and this set up worked flawlessly. 

I have a Samsung soundbar connected to the TV via an optical cable. Then the TV box is connected to the TV via hdmi. TV volume is set to zero, all audio should come through the soundbar.I

However, I can't get the ability to control the volume of the soundbar via the BT remote. What is it I need to do?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Control soundbar volume on BT pro TV box

Hi @MOMO12 ,

I have a Samsung Soundbar connected via an optical cable to my Samsung TV, my BT Pro remote has no problem controlling the sound level of the soundbar, but it does it through the TV.

Why have you set your TV volume to zero?

In Settings on your TV, have you set Sound to Audio out / Optical?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply @Andy005.

It is a Panasonic TV with no setting for specifying optical cable unfortunately.

I always had the TV volume set to zero otherwise sound comes out of the soundbar speakers as well as the TV speakers which causes an echo. 

I've followed the instructions for setting the TV box up with a optical cable but doesn't work!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

You said in your first post that your optical cable is connected from your soundbar to your TV. If your TV has an optical audio connection then surely you should see it in Settings somewhere.

When my soundbar is on, the TV automatically mutes the built in speakers, the TV remote and the BT  Pro remote both control the soundbar volume through the TV.

When you use the BT  Pro remote does it change the volume on your TV, ie work normally apart from the soundbar?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Tried looking again there, it doesn't specify optical audio but it does have viera link which looks to be the settings of interest but can't seem to get it to work. The TV is a Panasonic tx-l50b6b, like I said, it was all working perfectly fine with the sky box 😞
Your setup sounds ideal!
Yeah the BT pro remote changes the volume of the TV no problem at all. Similarly if I change the remote settings from controlling the TV to the BT box, it changes the volume 'from the box' if that makes sense.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

There's a SPDIF connection on the back of the BT Pro box for audio out but I think that's different to Optical. It might be worth checking what connections your soundbar has, and searching to see what the differences are in the cables.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Looking at the back of the BT Pro box @MOMO12 it does look like an optical out, try your optical cable between the BT Pro box, if it fits, and your soundbar.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Connecting the optical cable between the BT box and soundbar does work but still can't control the soundbar volume.

After a bit of messing around I've now tried with hdmi cables. Connected the BT box to the sound bar hdmi in. Then the hdmi out of the soundbar to hdmi in of the TV. Note, I've had to change the source on the soundbar to hdmi.

This is all fine but I also have a PC connected to the TV. But because the the BT box is using the hdmi input/output of the soundbar I need to use the optical cable for the audio of the PC. Which means I need to use the soundbar remote to change the source. Isn't ideal as my intent is to put the soundbar remote back in the drawer and use only one remote.
I appreciate any thoughts you might have!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

I should add that with the BT box connected to the soundbar and then the TV via hdmi gives me control of the soundbar volume via the BT remote!

Message 10 of 12

I use all of my remotes, including the soundbar one if I want to change the sound settings etc. I find it easier than a single programmable remote, even though they aren't the easiest things to keep tidy.

If you haven't already done so @MOMO12 there's an option in settings on the BT Pro box to switch the HDMI audio between Stereo and Surround.

0 Ratings