cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How is WiFi on Pro? Ok for 4K?

Currently have my new Pro box wired to my SH2. However getting FFTP and apparently the old telephone boxes inside house that I currently have my SH2 plugged into (not the master) won’t work. 

Apparently everything has to plug into the new ONT, not ideal in my setup tbh. 

Also means that the Pro box will have to go wireless. How does it perform? I use it for 4K stuff so not sure on required speed for that, but obviously much better if it’s wired. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How is WiFi on Pro? Ok for 4K?

I'm running Fibre on Halo 3 getting a download 48-55Mbps.

When I installed the Pro box I set it up over WiFi with no issues at all for connection and no buffering, very responsive.

However, the box is now cable connected as I already had the cables in place.

I've had no connection issues at all in fairness.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

You won’t wired, always quite reliable to be fair, and good speed.

WiFi though is slower, much more prone to drops and interference. 4K obviously needs more bandwidth as well.

Anyone on 4K with the Pro box use it on WiFi can tell me their experience (and speed) when watching 4K stuff?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Why don't you just try it & see? A look at the YouView section will show that there's quite a bit of variation in what users experience with the Pro Box. In my experience the hard part is getting it connected in the first place. But there's plenty of bandwidth to spare with the 5Ghz the Pro Box uses, so even two 4K streams shouldn't be an issue.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@QoQwrote:

Apparently everything has to plug into the new ONT, not ideal in my setup tbh.

I thought the Smart Hub 2 had to plug into the ONT, then everything connects to that?

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@stereohaven 

yes I meant that as now where my smart hub was, is now different to the location wheee the ONT is. I was wired to BT TV box, will now have to go wired. 

Message 7 of 7

Correct, the revised Smart hub 2 has port 4 labelled as 'wan'. there is a setting for full fibre mode to switch that on.

the ONT is essentially does the same job as the old openreach modems (huawei and ECI) except these are for Fibre.

Essentially you don't need the Smart Hub 2, any 3rd party one does work but not all of these operate BT TV's multicast, although most ASUS routers tend to work fine. (I just had to turn on IGMP Snooping and ensure routing was set to microsoft and TV has been spot on, also via Merlin firmware I found it added support for IGMP Snooping over wifi but I run ethernet so not used it)
0 Ratings