cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

New BT TV box - Freeview channels go bad everyday

Go to solution

Hello,

I recently got a new BT TV box, replacing one I had since 2014. As I expected, the menus and catch up services are a lot smoother on the new box.

However, I noticed that I was getting picture and sound breakup on freeview channels since changing the box.  Checking the strength and quality bars revealed a strength of 92% but a quality that jumps every 10-15 seconds from 100% down to around 60%. I checked all the connections on the coax that I could get access to, there seems to be no issue with them.

After looking at everything I could think of, I decided to retune the channels. After that all the breakup was gone and the quality bar was stable at 100%.

So then, a simple resolution to the problem.... Not quite. The next day the problem was back, retuned again, problem was gone.  This seems to be a consistent cycle with the problem reoccurring.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? I rarely had any issues with Freeview channels on the old box.

Thanks

Bradley

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: New BT TV box - Freeview channels go bad everyday

Go to solution

@therealbraderz 

The tuners on the Humax manufactured Youview boxes have always been a bit suspect and are easily overpowered by a too strong a signal.

Personally I've never had an issue at a strength figure of 92% but others have so maybe dropping it back to , say, 85% with a variable attenuator - between the box input socket & the aerial input - could help. For the cost of less than £5 it's worth a try.

Message 3 of 3

Re: New BT TV box - Freeview channels go bad everyday

Go to solution

@TimCurtis

I have followed your advice, and the variable attenuator arrived today.

It resolves the problem; reducing the signal strength to 90% is enough to eliminate all the breakup.

As a side point I'm not sure that the % scale on the youview box is parallel with the dB scale.  What I mean by this is that I seem to have to turn the adjustment wheel a fair way to achieve a 2% reduction from 92 - 90, then if I turn it the same amount again that results in an 8% reduction from 90 - 82.

Thanks

Bradley

0 Ratings