cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Restart router whenever watch internet channels.

If I want to watch the internet channels on TV (BT Sport, iplayer, Netflix) I have to restart the router. It gets tiresome having to do it all the time.

I can watch the channels on the phone or laptop without any problem.

It's a BT Smart Hub 2 and a Youview box.

Can anyone help please? We've only had the hub a few weeks. Also the powerline adaptors are quite new. Thank you.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Restart router whenever watch internet channels.

Powerline adaptors can cause issues with BT's Multicast streams. If you can link the box to the Hub with an ethernet cable, if possible, and check if the problem persists.

Message 3 of 10

Hi @keithn ,

@Hunter2660 has posted some great advice there. Are you able to connect directly with a cable to test?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Thank you for your responses. I do have a very long cable which I have used to test and that works fine, but I do not want it dragging across the middle of the room. The powerline adaptors packed up earlier this year and BT sent me some more just a few weeks ago, and they seemed to work fine, until the arrival of the Smart Hub 2.

When I asked the helpdesk about the problem in accessing internet channels, their advice was to restart the router and, if that does not work, restart the powerline adaptors, which I have been doing ever since whenever the problem arises (and, to be fair, it does fix the problem).

What I would like would be for a reliable connection without using the long cable and without doing the restarts, but as I now have had two lots of powerline adaptors, I do not know whether a third set might be the same problem, so I was asking on the off chance there was some solution I had not thought of.

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. If it continues, I guess I will have to insist on another pair of adaptors and hope for the best.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

you don't have both sets off powerline adapters connected at same time do you?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for all your comments. A slight change, I restart the Powerline adaptors whenever I want to use an internet channel, no need to reset the router.

Still inconvenient but we have to do a workaround, as the adaptors have only been with me a few months.

Thinking of leaving BT because its equipment is getting unreliable.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

It'll be due to the power line adaptors.
They probably got some eco mode or something that disrupts the 'IGMP Multicast'. When I routed an ethernet cable to the box but then extended it to support the TV, I fitted a switch and at first no Internet channels until I turned on that setting. After I upgraded to VIP, bt sport ultimate would cause the Internet to lockup. Rebooting the mini switch after my router fixed it.

I would either try another set of power line adaptors or buy some flat ethernet cable and run it under the floor if an option, or finally boost the WiFi and use the box via WiFi.

I myself routed my ethernet near the gripperrods of my carpet. It's buried and out of sight. Cable pops up behind the av rack and into a 5 port micro managed switch that then goes into my TV, bt box and my old freesat box.

If none of those options help then sadly not much else you can do. I hope you get it sorted one way or another.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Thank you for your reply.

I contacted BT Online Help yesterday who agreed that the problem was with the Powerline adaptors and they ordered some more for me which were to arrive by 6pm today.

Unfortunately there was no delivery so now I have to contact them again!!

I am guessing they were delayed by the Christmas post but it would be nice to know they are on their way.

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

I have some experience with Powerline adapters and really I’m not sure they’re up to modern, high-definition TV streaming. There may also be issues depending on how your house is wired. Ethernet direct connection is obviously best but for you, as for me, it may not be practicable.

My solution, which completely solves the issue, is to buy a Wi-Fi streaming device. I use Roku (£20 to £50 or so - the best one is the Streaming Stick 4k) but others are available. I have HD streaming over Wi-Fi now and all the apps I use - Netflix, iPlayer, ITVX, All4, Apple TV are available in one place. Argos sell them.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Post seems all over the place at the moment due to strikes. I sent something on a Tracked 48 hour service on the 3rd & it was finally delivered yesterday. They're striking again today & tomorrow so I wouldn't hold out much hope of seeing the replacement powerline adapters for a while.

Why did you change to the SH2, was it due to Digital Voice? If not, & as you say it all started with the SH2, have you tried reverting to the previous router?

0 Ratings