cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Software versions info.

Obviously I know what manufacturer software is which is the main firmware/os of the box. I know the platform configuration and isp configuration is the bit that tailors it to the isp. Such as bt talktalk etc.

What's the component one for? Is that just software libraries such as drm module, decoders etc?

Just curious as I noticed component software has been updated to 4.0.194.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Software versions info.

@biohazardx9 

I'm glad you asked this as I was thinking about asking as well. If you don't get an answer on this forum it might be worth posting on the YouView Community. Let's see if we get any joy here.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Shrouded in mystery it seems. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@biohazardx9 

I posted the question on the YouView Community. Let's see what happens ....

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@biohazardx9 

I had some joy on the YouView Community (thanks Luke).

A simplified explanation:

- Component software - software from Youview

- Manufacturer software - software from sagecom

- ISP configuration - with BT as the ISP then software/configuration from BT

- Platform configuration - "Describes a set of parameters that allow the behaviour of the device to be configured after deployment without requiring the software to be updated"

Above is a simplification (I did ask for a simple explanation). Gauging by your question you're after a more detailed explanation. The poster also said that the quote is from the YouView Core Technical Specification 1.0 (2011). Lots in there for you to delve into (e.g. summaries on pg 15, 69).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@BillyM that's exactly what I wanted.

Good to know!

From this information then I take it means... 

the component software and platform configuration is when a 'new' feature will arrive. (example when an app is launched or when voice search is activated etc)

Manufacturer version will include the base loader and of course drivers etc. So it's this area where the surround sound bug exists. As it doesn't exist in the older box.

When WiFi arrived, all three would have had to have been updated. A) for the WiFi driver, B) to add it to the software and C) to then switch the feature on in the software.

Platform configuration is like the registry settings from a policy.

Isp configuration essentially tells it where to look for multicast, where to look for the update server, the theme etc etc. Essentially personalisation. Explains how box enters subscription mode or retail mode.

All makes sense. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@biohazardx9 At the risk of releasing even more of your inner geek, a couple of other links I came across when I was searching to find a definition:

https://www.youview.com/open-source/

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/getting-set-up/bt-tv-user-guides - click on Opensource code

0 Ratings