cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Break contract - moving

Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm moving flat later this year to an apartment complex that bundles the internet with the rent. This would mean that I wouldn't be able to access BT broadband, because no other providers are allowed, but my contract runs until next year. I know that if you move home to somewhere BT can't provide do this is legitimate grounds to break contract. 

Does anyone know if my situation would be covered by this? 

Thanks!

Freddie 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Break contract - moving

Go to solution

@frevans95 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You must use the BT Home Move process, as the team there can determine whether any form of Openreach network exists, even if its just a copper service.

If they confirm that its not possible to get any BT connection, then they are the only ones who can allow you to exit your contract without charge.

Just because the property you are moving to includes Internet with the rent, then that would be no excuse to cancel your contract, if there is an alternative solution provided by BT.

See https://www.bt.com/exp/moving-home

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@frevans95 

Use the address checker for the flat you are moving to, on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Sorry for the horrible format of the table below. I can post a screenshot if that would be helpful?

Thanks in advance!

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability DateHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean) frevans95_4-1715597673116.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) frevans95_5-1715597673117.gif
G.fast Range A (Clean) frevans95_6-1715597673119.gif
G.fast Range B (Impacted) frevans95_7-1715597673122.gif
8064.42018.456.7UnavailableAvailable
80602016.649UnavailableAvailable
----------Unavailable--
----------Unavailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33050--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 13--7.5 to 17.5Available
Up to 13Up to 17.5 to 17.5Available
Up to 7--6 to 8Available
2----Available
2----Available
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability DateWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 13.0--7.5 to 17.5Available
Up to 7.0--6.0 to 8.0Available
Up to 2----Available
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL Multicast
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
Y
Y
N

FTTP is not available.

As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@frevans95 

BT can supply ADSL up to 17.5Mbs, to your apartment, you can transfer your contract, so you would not be able to cancel without paying cancellation charges.

Up to 13 Up to 1 7.5 to 17.5

Available

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

You would not be charged for any services that may be incompatible with ADSL.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for that answer - really useful! 

I've had an email back from the apartment complex saying that they don't allow external suppliers. Since BT can provide broadband but the complex won't let them, I imagine that BT would not see this as a legitimate cause since the problem is mine and not theirs? 

Thanks again! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Its quite possible that the apartments had a copper infrastructure to start with, and then the landlord entered into an agreement with another fibre provider who do not use the Openreach network, perhaps to provide an incentive for prospective tenants as Openreach are not going to provide FTTP.

The copper infrastructure would still be there, probably ending up in a utility cupboard in a common area. There may be some cabling to each of the apartments, terminating in a master phone socket.

If that is the case, then its difficult to see how the landlord could prevent BT from providing a connection via that route.

I would see what the Home Move people say, as if they can place a connection order for the apartment, then you would have to accept that.

Its possible that Openreach may reject the order, if they do, then you may be in a better negotiating position regarding contract cancellation.