cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Tv Error message

How do I deactivate the weak Tv signal message box that appears across the Tv screen which keeps obscuring the Tv picture.???????

I don't need a huge message box telling I have weak signal, I can work that out for myself.!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Tv Error message

@seantopbloke 

You can’t stop the message, you have to solve the issue it is reporting.

Switch to IP Mode, if you have a Pro box.

Get a better TV aerial, or a signal booster.

Does your TV give a similar message if you plug the aerial into that, or use the onward connection from the YouView box?

Message 3 of 8

There is no issue. The signal is fine.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

The box is reporting a weak signal.

You say the signal is fine.

The tuner in these types of boxes is nowhere near the quality of those typically used in a decent TV,  so it is entirely possible the TV can manage a weaker signal better than the box.

Conversely, boxes like these can struggle with too good a signal that then needs dialling back with an attenuator.

Your options are as outlined by @Midnight_Voice, which BT are going to insist you work through anyway before considering replacing the box which might have a fault.

Even if you are a qualified Freeview engineer with the required equipment to prove the signal is indeed fine, they will still work through a script before arranging their own engineer visit and/or sending a replacement box.

There is nothing else any of us can do, we are just customers like you.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 5 of 8

Basically BT would rather we complain on here rather than bother them. Companies nowadays see customer help  as a financial drain.

The fact that this message cannot be switched off would suggest a sub par product that has not been researched by BT when they decided to use it.  A simple firmware update would cure this but that costs money.

The only way customers can communicate with companies like this is to stop buying their products. Hopefully this only course of action will make the relevant people begin to consider customers like they used to.

Its a sign of the times.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@seantopbloke @stereohaven 

A little wide of the mark, I think. BT and YouView have worked together since 2012, and much has been done to suit the particular requirements of BT; but turning off the weak signal indicator has never figured high on the list. Much as you can’t turn off the low fuel, low oil or low battery warnings on cars, perhaps.

But can we get some numbers here? If you turn to Settings/TV Signal Quality on the YouView box when you get this warning, what values do you see? 

If you are getting 100%/100%, with no fluctuations, then yes your box may be faulty, which you can take up with BT. But if you are getting lower figures, then your box is trying to tell you something.

Depending on the make of your TV, you may be able to get some absolute figures, as well; my LG, under Settings/Programmes/Programme Tuning & Settings/Signal Test, yields an enormous amount of information, Channel by Channel (21-69) i.e. multiplex by multiplex, with the individual LCNs each carries.

Can you report some figures back?

Oh, and can you mention any broadcast receiving  devices that let you turn the low signal warning off?

Message 7 of 8

Definitely not wide of the mark.

Its only on particular channels. And comparing a full screen message to a light on a vehicle dashboard is way off.

Clearly there is a low signal on some channels but I do not see the need to interrupt viewing with a pointless message when the signal is good enough to provide a perfectly good picture.

If the signal isn't good enough to view a channel then the viewer will be able to determine this with a simple application of common sense. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@seantopbloke 

And the devices that do let you turn this message off are?

0 Ratings