cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

TNT SPORTS Terrible Picture Quality | May 2024

Has anyone else been suffering from awful picture quality since last week (1st May 2024)?

I’m using the Discovery+ app on a brand new Samsung 4k television and streaming live football is terrible. It was fine previously and the issue only started last week.

Constant buffering and below SD picture quality. Any else noticed a noticeable decline recently?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: TNT SPORTS Terrible Picture Quality | May 2024

Yes.

I have an S90C & following a firmware upgrade to 1410 on 28th April, the Discovery+ app seems to get progressively worse over around an hour. Quality slowly drops to what looks like sub-SD until it starts buffering. Quitting the app cures it but only temporarily & it again degrades slowly. After it happened last night I re-installed the app this morning, but it happened again shortly into the second half this evening.

When I first saw it last week, I assumed it was the stream or maybe WiFi interference, but the Now app has been fine.  Next game I'll watch on another device  see what happens.

Message 3 of 21

Thanks for the response. That sounds about right, and when I called Discovery+ customer service they mentioned an update had caused issues on Samsung’s so they seem aware. Not sure if there’ll be a resolution but I hope so. I’m currently having to stream using the app on an iPhone or iPad, and using airplay to connect to the Samsung TV. That seems to resolve the issue and it plays in HD but obviously not ideal. Hope that helps, and hopefully another update will rectify the issue!

Message 4 of 21

Just called Discovery+ again and they have had quite a few calls so anyone else with the issue should call 0800 066 5855 and log it so they speed up the solution.

They say they’re working on an update to the app but it’s already been a month or so so who knows how true that is.

The more pressure the better!

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 21

Mine crapped out at around the 40 minute mark both on Sunday & this evening. Both times I switched to the app on the Pro Box at half time & that had no issues. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Message 6 of 21

Just looked a bit deeper into this & the Samsung app is dated February (24th?). So that would have been running for me without issue on Samsung software 1310 & 1402 between 28th February & 29th April. It only started failing once the software changed to 1410. So that would suggest that Samsung broke something rather than Discovery.

Although I haven't had any issues with the Now app on the Samsung & watched the whole IPL match this afternoon.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

I think you’re right, the issue is definitively related the the app on Smart TVs, and doing some research on Reddit it appears to be Samsung (I’ve heard LG mentioned also though).

It may be the case that the Samsung update caused the issue but I guess Discovery+ will have to find a way to get their app to adapt to the new software the television’s are using, rather than Samsung issuing an update which only impacts one app. As with you, NOWTV still works perfectly.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Reported on chat this morning & received ref. 14441868. Like you, they eventually said it's "being worked on" so not much more we can do I guess.

I've just kicked off the re-run of last night's game & will let that run in the background, just to see if it also affects on demand as well as live.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Just had the problem trying to watch MotoGP, the picture goes so low res you cannot even read the riders names in the column down the left side of the screen, Yet if you go in after the event and watch the highlights it is all great.

Only seems to happen on the MotoGP, the other event I regulaly watch is the Speedway GP's and that is excellnt quality throughout.

I am using an Nvidia Shield TV Pro, and have even tried turning off the video upscaling, makes no difference, TV is an LG Oled,

anyone else getting this MotoGP issue?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

No problems with MotoGP picture+ quality recorded on my Youview box. And no problem with PQ in general watching other sport using the Discovery+ app on my Chromecast dongle such as the rugby and Champions Leaque football highlights etc. A quick test on the recently installed Discovery+ app on my Youview box of live and chase-played content shows no PQ problems either. Similarly with the app on my Android 13 phone and through the Chrome browser on my Android 7 tablet.

Which suggest to me that maybe the issue lies with the app not being very happy on your Nvidia Shield.  Just a thought, could you try watching using the Chrome (or other) browser on the Nvidia Shield next time you notice a problem using the app?  Not an ideal workaround as the UI is a bit clunkier in my experience with my tablet.

0 Ratings