cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

DV-Knowledge Base ¦ Expanding Horizons ?

Go to solution

Hi there.

I'm fully loaded on SH2/DV+Handset. Works @ mine. Would it work elsewhere ?

If I take my SH2/DV+Handset down to an acquaintance at the coast, SH2/non-DV. Swop out my kit for their kit.

If I ring my phone number from a cellphone, will it ring at the coast ? Would 17070/147017070 work ?

If there's no functionality; anyone offer a technical explanation, as to why ? Cheers !

PUSHING THE ENVELOPE ?PUSHING THE ENVELOPE ?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: DV-Knowledge Base ¦ Expanding Horizons ?

Go to solution
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

if your friend is also a BT broadband customer but not been upgraded to DV then your SH2 will connect to his broadband but DV will not work as not enabled on his broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

if your friend is also a BT broadband customer but not been upgraded to DV then your SH2 will connect to his broadband but DV will not work as not enabled on his broadband

OK. So, if the remote, SH2/DV is configured DV. Swop out the kit.
Does my phone number ring ? Alternatively, does the swopped out SH2 get reblown with the distant, local config ?

All good stuff ?CHEERS-!-rg.gif

Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

if your friend is configured for DV and you connect your kit then phone will work but will be your friends number not yours    your number is specific to your home connection 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Your phone number is linked to your line, not your hub.

Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @COMPANY-PENSIONER   Why don’t you simply divert your number to your friends number or your mobile phone? Easy to do on your DV-handset.

Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi all.

The reason I posted these queries, relates to a recent conversation I had, regarding different versions/providers of VOIP.
The guy I had a conversation with, has a VOIP Service, that rings the phone in his pocket, wherever he is in the world with a WiFi signal. He attempted to get BT to release what's blown into his router, to facilitate a wholly mobile option. No surprise, BT didn't release his prerequisites. So, he went elsewhere for what he has now.
My sparse understanding of the situation is that, BT blows your SH2/DV and the handset DECTs off the hub; handshaking information ? The handset he has in his pocket, has all the configuration in the handset, and therefore can pickup his 'call packets', anywhere.
An interesting aside will be people migrating to DV, who only require telephony. A free £200 SH2 @ line, is probably not cost affective. An all-in-one alternative, would put a smile on the balance sheet ?

Smart Hub 2Smart Hub 2

Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

‘Normal’ VoIP provision from VoIP suppliers like Sipgate , and the proprietary VoIP system BT use ( Digital Voice ) are not the same , they may both be IP telephony but that’s about it ,  security and billing are far more secure ( apparently ) on DV , but there may well be ‘better’ functionality with a standard VoIP service, like when changing ISP it doesn’t affect the VoIP service , and the geographical location is relatively unimportant, as well as options to answer the VoIP service on a mobile phone .

DV isn’t competing in the same space , its intended to closely resemble the PSTN phone network it replaces,  domestic customers simply want to be able to make and receive calls , even that is a shrinking market , building a VoIP system with every single ‘option’ , when generally no one makes calls anymore , and those that do are likely to be less bothered about those extras ,seems a little pointless.

You  may know someone with a regular VoIP service, and they can answer the same ‘phone number’ in different locations but you cannot do a similar thing with DV , even if you transport the SH2 to the new location and connect it to an existing BT Broadband service at that address , it was never designed to do that , but as pointed out , a far simpler solution is to put the number ( to be answerable at the alternative address ) onto divert to whatever phone number is already associated with that other address .

If someone wants the functions offered by a regular VoIP provider, they can have that as an addition to DV or simply take BT broadband without DV , and use a VoIP supplier instead of DV .

Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @COMPANY-PENSIONER   If you want flexibility, then transfer your number to a VOIP service. I chose Voipfone. Apart from using your mobile as soft phone there are many other features, such as I receive my answer machine messages immediately as an attachment to an email. It simply opens your home phone and messages to be monitored anywhere.