cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5

Re: Adding Broadband on existing analogue line - mixed messages!

Go to solution

Thank you very much. That has clarified what is going on. I guess the comparison sites show Fibre at the address - until you click through and they check it properly and realise there is no capacity.  I think I will investigate Broadband over the mobile network, but even that is only 4G in the area Im looking at.

Thank you once again.

0 Ratings
Message 2 of 5

Go to solution

60 to 80Mb would be available if the FTTC ‘cabinet’ wasn’t at capacity ( its showing ‘waiting list’ )  so ADSL2 is the only current option, and the predicted speed for that is up to 8Mb .

FTTC cabinet capacity is dynamic, as people join and leave the service , the cab will vary between showing ‘available’ and ‘waiting list’ , so you could keep an eye on the availability and order FTTC if the cabinet status changes to available , otherwise it’s ADSL2 and 8Mb , only you can decide if that’s OK , FWIW , when I was on 3Mb ADSL ( 5Km line length ) it was OK for most things , but obviously is pretty slow by today standards.

The theoretical maximum for ADSL2+ is 24Mb , but that’s not really achievable even with the shortest possible line , 17Mb is what most providers state as an average speed ( upto 17Mb ) but as your  predicted speed is much lower  .

ADSL is a rate adaptive system , longer lines slow speeds , your line length gives a prediction of 8Mb , that’s probably OK for most things apart from 4K video streams ( HD consumes around 5Mb )

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your response, It more or less confirms what Im thinking. This is the result from the address check

caroandrew_0-1723297407263.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Might be interesting to check out her address here:

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Post the info here but remove the address, will give a better idea of what is available from a higher level.

"Up to 24Mbps" means that I'm afraid, I think my parents are the same but get 8Mbps.....old copper infra.

10Mbps tbh will be okay for a Firestick, maybe not the 4K titles but 10Mbps will get through most content without issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 5 of 5

Adding Broadband on existing analogue line - mixed messages!

Go to solution

My mother lives in a block of retirement apartments on the 2nd floor. She has a standard copper landline - currently with Talk Talk - and I am trying to add Broadband. Talk Talk offer this but the download is less than 10Mbps and she wants to use a Firestick on her smart TV  However if I check on Openreach they state that ADSL up to 24MBps is available. When I go to BT and put in her address/postcode all they offer is Broadband over 4G - at a very high cost.  Using the various comparison sites I get a variety of confusing answers, some offer Fibre, others Broadband over the local 4G mobile networks EE & 3.   And often when I follow through on some of these 'deals' they throw up errors. Why doesnt BT (and others) offer a standard broadband (non fibre) if it is available?  I dont understand what is going on! Any suggestions?

0 Ratings