cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Scam Call - Openreach?

Go to solution

Hi all

I am due to have FTTP installed tomorrow.

Just received a call from 02893443299 (Ballyclare).  There was a pause before the female at the other end spoke - in a distant-sounding, Irish accent.  She said she was from Openreach and asked me to confirm I am getting FTTP installed tomorrow, which I replied to with "Yes".  She then asked me to confirm my name address, expecting me to provide her with these details.  I told her that I had already confirmed the appointment via text to Openreach this morning, then told her that I would not be volunteering any information as SHE was the one who called ME, then told her I am terminating this call.  "Okay" she said, and the call was ended.

Just putting this out to you all.  Does Openreach do this or was this most likely a scam?

Thank in advance

Vinc3

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Scam Call - Openreach?

Go to solution

TBH ,unlikely to be a scam ( what can be gained by this ) obviously you have every right to refuse to answer , but chances the call was just to confirm your availability, if the tech turned up tomorrow and you were not available, a failed appointment charge may be raised ….scams are where they attempt to get personal information that allows financial gain ( bank accounts etc ) or to persuade you to allow remote access to your devices, in this case unless the call would have progressed to the point of asking for financial information or downloading software, a scam seems unlikely

TBH , I’m not critical of your response, I would do the same with an unsolicited call , but in this case it’s likely it was simply an attempt to confirm your availability when the tech visits.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@iniltous 

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Just seemed very odd to me, especially as I had sent a reply text to confirm my availability a couple of hours prior to receiving the telephone call.  If the female had stated my name to me and asked me to confirm if correct, then I might have reacted differently.  However, asking me to 'fill in the blanks' just raised concerns.  If this is a process BT/Openreach wish to follow, then advising customers in advance (within one of the emails customers receive) would be a reasonable approach.

Many thanks

Vince

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

As this is a BT customer forum , any suggestions for how Openreach should conduct their business is no more likely to be received than the same advice offered to them from a comment on a Sky or Talk Talk forum , BT and Openreach are not the interchangeable terms