cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Access Controls

I’ve been using the Access controls via the MyBT App for quite some time now and only recently have I started to encounter problems. All the devices that I had set into specific groups no longer show in that group and also when I change the names of the devices it resets back within 5-10 seconds. 
Any help on how I can resolve this would be great. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Access Controls

Hi @Lewis1707 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having problems with the access controls. Are you using an Apple device that has recently been updated to the iOS 14 software?

Message 3 of 12

Hi @NeilO ,

Yes it appears I am on the I updated version of apple iOS 14. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@Lewis1707 

Access control relies on the device MAC address remaining the same. Unfortunately Apple introduced a private address feature on IOS14, which generates a totally random MAC address when it connects to a wireless network, which mean that access control no longer works.

You can disable the private address feature on the Apple device, but that does not prevent the owner enabling it again.

I am sure that Apple did not even consider what effect it would have of access controls, on all routers.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

So that iOS update is preventing me from adding any devices to access controls ? Seems kind of stupid and interfering on Apple’s behalf. 
Can the BT tech team not add this feature back to the web based system as it’s basically rendered useless now via app ? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Hi @Lewis1707, if you go into the wifi settings on your iPhone try disabling the new private address feature to see if that allows you to manage your access controls on the app. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@Lewis1707 wrote:

So that iOS update is preventing me from adding any devices to access controls ? Seems kind of stupid and interfering on Apple’s behalf. 
Can the BT tech team not add this feature back to the web based system as it’s basically rendered useless now via app ? 

All the app is doing is altering the settings in the home hub, so even if you did have direct web access to the home hub, the problem would still be there, as its inherent in the design of the firmware.

Virtually all routers that implement access control, identify a device by its MAC address, so none of them are going to work. The only way to stop access, would be to turn off the home hub, but that would affect everyone.

Apple have defeated the whole concept of having a unique MAC address for each piece of hardware, and I am surprised that they were allowed to do that. It also makes it difficult to identify unauthorised connections.

Some routers allow you to turn off wireless during specific times, but that would affect all users, and would not affect devices connected by Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Still no joy. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe  I partly understand what your trying to say. However I don’t see why Apple can dictate what I can and can’t do with my BT device. I would understand if it was just not letting me control any of my Apple products, but it’s not letting me set controls for my windows pc’s or the playstations that’s on the network. Do you see my frustration? 
I can’t even change the name of said devices under the manage controls section. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I would agree that access control should work for other devices that have proper MAC addresses.

As for the app issue, I cannot comment, as I do not use a home hub. I do not understand why BT removed the web based options.

I would imagine that the app no longer recognises your device.

What you may have to do is to disable the private address feature, and then factory reset the home hub to remove all of the saved settings, then re-install the app. That way your MAC address will always remain the same, and you should be able to control the home hub. If you ever re-enable private address feature, then you will lose access to the settings again.

Perhaps @NeilO  has some other suggestions?

0 Ratings