cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Advice required on Fibre900 FTTP Install with multiple connection points in property

I’m due to get Fibre900 FTTP installed on Monday.

There is a master socket located at the front corner of the house that has multiple connections throughout the property as we used to have two lines into the property.

We currently house the BT SmartHub2 in the hallway where it takes a feed direct from the master socket.

We would ideally like to retain this central position for the new SmartHub2 as it’s housed in a ideal position for Wi-fi connectivity. In addition it sits on top of a sideboard unit that allows me to connect other equipment to the hub.

Any advice?

Has anyone else had this issue and how did you overcome it?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Advice required on Fibre900 FTTP Install with multiple connection points in property

are you getting digital voice when you get FTTP installed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Re: Advice required on Fibre900 FTTP Install with multiple connection points in property

No.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

@Law_Man Our helpful engineer installed the ONT in the middle of the house downstairs where we wanted it. (The line comes in upstairs at the rear). I think so long as the requested ONT location is reasonable the engineers are normally fairly good at accommodating requests. Other options could be a mesh network.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

@Forthay I guess I could accept an entry point in the bedroom. Excuse the pun!

There is already a BT socket that we don’t use that is directly attached to the outside wall. I’m assuming that they need to fit the ONT in that location and the SmartHub2 has to directly connect to it.

I have 3 BT mesh discs already installed so I could place one of them in the hallway to allow a central point of connectivity.

Appreciate the feedback.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

@Law_Man our engineer ran the cabling from the upstairs to downstairs so we could have our ONT where we wanted it in the centre of the house so it doesn't need to be located where the cable comes into the house.  All you can do is ask 🙂

Yes, the red wan port of the SH2 needs to be connect to the ONT but you can use your own router if you wanted.

The BT discs should daisy chain so you’ve got a fair amount of flexibility but I wouldn’t have an ONT in the bedroom unless you can hide its flashing lights.

Message 7 of 18

@Law_ManYour telephone sockets  have no bearing on your internet connection with FTTP.  The ONT connects directly to the fibre optic cable and your hub to the ONT.

Message 8 of 18

Yeah thanks. I thought that would be the case. I just hope I can convince them to install the ONT in the upstairs bedroom which is not far from where the current line enters the property on the ground floor. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

@Forthay I’m just concerned that they will use lockdown restrictions in Scotland as an excuse not to cable where I want.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Openreach Engineers are allowed to enter people’s homes/businesses for TLOS Faults and or Provision Work no matter what Tier your area is in. Most have been going in still regardless of what type of job it is anyway.

If an Engineer won’t for whatever reason, i.e. he/she or a close family member is High Risk then really their Manager should put them on duties/give them jobs that don’t require access to people’s homes.

Also most are very accommodating when it comes to the placement on the ONT as long as it doesn’t breach any of the safety rules they have to follow.