cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Advice required on Fibre900 FTTP Install with multiple connection points in property

@Law_Man as @Starwire says I think you’ll be fine.

My experience of Openreach engineers are they’re a really helpful bunch.

Enjoy your FTTP when it’s installed! 🙂

Message 12 of 18

Re: Advice required on Fibre900 FTTP Install with multiple connection points in property

Install went fine. The OpenReach engineer was excellent throughout and installed the fibre cable and ONT box in my preferred location.

Speeds though have not been anywhere near what I purchased. I’m currently getting 200Mbs download when it’s supposed to be 900.

I’m going to wait and see what happens over the next week to see if there is an improvement.

Message 13 of 18

@Law_Man 

I’m currently getting 200Mbs download when it’s supposed to be 900.

I’m going to wait and see what happens over the next week to see if there is an improvement.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

It really does puzzle me when I read posts like this.

Unless there is a problem behind closed doors it should work at 900 / 110Mbps from the first time you connect like mine did.

I honestly think it must be the Home Hub 2 from what I have read on here and it's time BT sorted this problem out.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Don't forget that FTTP is a contended service. There is only 2.5Gb/s (10Gb/s in some locations) to be shared between up to 32 nodes.

Message 15 of 18

@Law_Man  Good to hear the install went well, nice result. 😎

Those speeds are woeful. Are they from connecting a laptop directly to the smarthub2 and using fast.com? Note - I only mention fast.com because that’s what BT typically ask the results from.

You could also try connecting a laptop directly to the ont, setting up a PPPoE connection and running a speed test.

I’d also suggest getting on the phone to the FTTP team to mention your concern and say you may want your cooling off period extended if the results don’t improve.

note that unlike FTTC, FTTP doesn’t need time to stabilise.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

@Forthay  

These speeds are direct to Hub. I managed to get a “maintenance” window tonight to perform a reboot and I saw some improvement, but not the speeds I expected. 

Tomorrow is a day off work for everyone in house so I intend to perform more detailed analysis using fast.com.

Is there a set process you could provide a link to for setting up a direct PPPoE connection from laptop to ONT? 

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

@Law_Man  I’m not sure I can post a specific link but it’s along the lines of

1. Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network
2. Connect to the internet (the top option) then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE
3. Username Internet@btbroadband.com and any password e.g. BT

Also google windows 10 PPPoE, there are loads of great step by step guides.

remember you’re connecting your machine directly to the internet so best have your anti virus and firewall software on. Personally I wouldn’t leave it connected that way for too long.

I’d also use the old Internet Explorer for fast.com and check your upload speeds too and Smarthub 2 firmware version. It might be due an update, if it is sometimes turning the Smarthub off and on can trigger a check and line it up for later on.

Message 18 of 18

@Forthay  very good advise mate.

@Law_Man 

If you are like me and follow videos better watch this. 

Good luck buddy. 🤗

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"