cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Alternatives to BT hub?

I have a BT smart hub type A which includes broadband and wifi in the same unit. I've been having a lot of dropout problems starting in September and 3 separate engineer visits haven't been able to resolve them. BT sent a new hub yesterday, but that's not fixed it. Even if this a noise problem, maybe a different brand of hub might behave better. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced alternative to the smart hub that I could get easily (eg from Amazon)? I don't want to spend hundreds, but as BT are getting nowhere trying to fix my problems I'm looking for things I can try myself.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Alternatives to BT hub?

@nwlondon 

The TP Link TD-W9970 is one option. Locally from Argos, or via Amazon.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

Price around £35. Only single band Wi-Fi.

It would prove whether it is a noise issue.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@nwlondon 

Have you actually tried a noise test - dial 17070 & option 2 - with a corded phone preferrably. There should be no sound whatsoever. If there is you report it as a phone line issue not mentioning broadband.

I'm guessing the engineers visits were broadband related.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Quiet line test is OK. All 3 inconclusive engineer visits were related to the ongoing broadband problems. I'm starting to think it might be an interference or impulse noise problem, which might only show up on a quiet line test if I was doing it at the moment the problem occurred. 

0 Ratings