cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Asus WiFi 6 router

Go to solution

Hi guys, I recently signed up for by 900mb but have a bit of a dilemma. I have always had virgin for broadband since the ntl days. With my virgin hub I was able to put it in modem mode as I have an Asus aimesh but I see this isn't possible with the bt hub so was wondering if there was either a suitable modem or as Asus router with built in modem anyone could suggest?

Thanks for your help and time.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Asus WiFi 6 router

Go to solution

@JohnukRead 

Fibre 900 is delivered from an Optical Openreach modem which you have to use.

All you need to do is to plug in your existing wireless router or mesh system, and use these login details.

username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

Your mesh would need to have a router mode.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, my mesh setup consists of 2 Asus WiFi 6 routers. My understanding was that the by hub would still be acting as a router though? I understand I could plug the wan from the router into the lab of the hub but that wouldn't be ideal.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I think I see what you're saying now, they fit a box to the wall that is actually the modem as opposed to the router being in the modem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@JohnukRead wrote:

Thanks for the reply, my mesh setup consists of 2 Asus WiFi 6 routers. My understanding was that the by hub would still be acting as a router though? I understand I could plug the wan from the router into the lab of the hub but that wouldn't be ideal.

You would not be using the BT Home hub if you are using your own router.

Assuming your router has a WAN socket, then that would plug directly into the Openreach modem. You router would be doing the authentication.

If you are going to be using the BT Smart Hub 2 as the router, then all you would have would be a local LAN connection. It depend on what sort of connection your mesh needs.

Bear in mind that if you have BT Digital Voice, then you have to use the Smart Hub 2.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@JohnukRead wrote:

I think I see what you're saying now, they fit a box to the wall that is actually the modem as opposed to the router being in the modem.

That is correct.

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
I won't use a home phone, I've got the jist of it now as I thought the by hub would be the modem and router in one but that's not the case so I can just use my own system.
Thanks for the reply.
0 Ratings